Gibson Brands Forums

Epiphone Masterbilt AJ500RE - Small hump in neck

gasandmatches

Hi,

A few months ago I bought a Masterbilt AJ-500RE. I noticed it would buzz a bit when I played anything above about the 5 or 6th fret. I took it to my local guitar tech and he told me there is small hump in the neck where it meets the body. and that in order to completely get rid of all the buzz I made need to have the saddle raised.

Is this something fairly common in these guitars? I could get it replaced under warranty by Gibson but I'm unsure its worth going to the trouble if all of them are like this. I guess one my main questions is whether it's more beneficial to get it replaced under warranty, or have it repaired under warranty. I guess it all depends on how common this problem is. Anyone who can help I appreciate you answers!

thanks!

Hi' date=' send it back. In some cases, they'll just replace it. Whichever is more cost efficent for them. What ever Epiphone decides I'm sure you'll be happy with the results...........................................................Keep pickin' [/quote']

I'd agree, however, these MasterBilts are starting to get rare. IF you send it back and they take weeks to replace it, then what?

You're out of luck? After all the time spent on deciding to get one, looking for one, saving money to buy, buying one, only to have a defective, to send it back... then wait and wait for a replacement? Uhhhhhh ?!?!?!

I'd say, take it to a tech, have em file down the frets, or you do it yourself, and be done with it.

If you go that route, I'm sure you'll only need to shave off a .001 (thousandths) or two. Besides, if they are high frets on the body, you don't play those frets anyway right so who cares if you file a little extra off?

I don't know, I'm getting frustrated with what I'm seeing with these MB's. I own one and I love mine and yes I would get another one... a different model. But they're hard to find. No one knows when new shipments will come in. Not even the Corp. Epi people seem to know. Try buying a MB Case......does anyone have them?

thanks for all the replies. I took it to my tech and he suggested getting it replaced. I called Gibson and they were very helpful in the return process. It only took about five minutes to set up a return authorization. They are going to either repair or replace it. I'm guessing replace it.

It is a bummer though. I ordered this guitar in November from Sweetwater and in January they still didn't have them in stock. My rep told it would actually be out of stock until March. I was lucky enough to find one of seven on Musicians Friend the same week. I agree with the comment about these guitars getting hard to find. Now 5 months after my intial order I'm very anxious to play one that is decently set up.

Gibson said it's a two week turnaround to fix/replace the guitar. So hopefully in the next few weeks I'll receive a new one that plays like a dream.

I'd agree' date=' however, these MasterBilts are starting to get rare. IF you send it back and they take weeks to replace it, then what?

You're out of luck? After all the time spent on deciding to get one, looking for one, saving money to buy, buying one, only to have a defective, to send it back... then wait and wait for a replacement? Uhhhhhh ?!?!?!

I'd say, take it to a tech, have em file down the frets, or you do it yourself, and be done with it.

If you go that route, I'm sure you'll only need to shave off a .001 (thousandths) or two. Besides, if they are high frets on the body, you don't play those frets anyway right so who cares if you file a little extra off?

I don't know, I'm getting frustrated with what I'm seeing with these MB's. I own one and I love mine and yes I would get another one... a different model. But they're hard to find. No one knows when new shipments will come in. Not even the Corp. Epi people seem to know. Try buying a MB Case......does anyone have them?

[/quote']i bought the john lennon case and fits like a glove on my aj500r. better built than the mb cases. i know the american musical got some sunburst in last week and were gone in one day

Archived