Gibson Brands Forums

What Tuner Do You Use?

Rollie LeBay

Well, after the highly interesting capo thread, wherein some contended for economy whilst others held forth that expense should be damned in the interest of tone, I thought it would be interesting to find out what tuners people are using.

Myself, the Korg CA-30 Chromatic and the Korg GA-30 Guitar/Bass tuner grace my case(s). But I have my eye on a Peterson Strobo-flip, and as soon as my wife recovers from the shock of the Guild F512 I just bought, I'm sure I'll be pulling the trigger on that.

So what's yours?

Uncle Buck

Seiko ST600

(about 10 years old and still going)

Seiko SAT 500 Chromatic (how do you work this?)

Korg DT7

FZone

A piano.

A man comes to tune the piano.

All in all the way I play it don't matter a lot!

A 1940 Kay M-1 upright bass. Gimme any one of those big strings and I'll take it from there.

Or an 'e' tuning fork.

I must have a half dozen electronic tuners around here but don't use them unless I'm setting up intonation on an electric. Out of those, my favorite is an old Sabine from about 1990 with all the LEDs.

I would squeal like a little girl if I had the room for an old upright piano here. Preferably an old church basement piano painted mint green.

I would give it good home, I really would.

intelli IMT 500 clip on jobbie.

Do you like yours? I hate mine. The thing works when it feels like it. It rarely registers the low E and A string. I usually have to tune those using harmonics or at the higher octave or something creative. For the other strings, I find the thing gets it in the ballpark but that's not very precise. I wish I could take it back. I use it when I change strings because it will tell me how close I am to notes, and I use it for guitar jams where everyone's tuning up at the same time, but that's about it.

Anyway, the one I use most often is an old old Korg GT-1. It belonged to the ex-boyfriend (he gave it to me) and it's the best tuner I've ever had. Works beautifully. I also have an old old old Seiko ST600. It's so old I have to adjust the button to tune each individual string. Not chromatic! It seems to me that Korg makes some pretty good tuners., and the next one I buy will probably be a Korg.

Do you like yours?

only because it's better than my ear. you're right about the low E and A. i have to do the same thing. i like the clip on aspect of it as only 2 of my guitars have p-ups and using the tuners with mics just plain stinks in a noisy room. i'm open to suggestions as it regards better clip on tuners. assuming there is such a thing.

I use the intellitouch clip-on too which serves me quite well. One thing I’ve noticed with the way the Gibson headstock is (like an open book unlike a Martin that is square) I have to move the tuner while tuning. I tune the first 3 (low) strings with the tuner on the low side of the headstock and the last 3 (high) with the tuner on the high side. Otherwise, the tuning is rarely accurate.

I use a Korg CA-30, & an Intellitouch. They both work fine for me .

I find that if I hold the tuner button on the low E as I pick,it reads it better, haven't had problems wit the A string.

I mostly use the Korg . It was a lot less money, but seems very accurate.

I have been using the Intelli IMT 500 for a while and have had the same problems with the lower strings as karen and jannusguy, but I recently bought the Intelli IMT-900 on ebay for ...20bucks or so,......and it does a LOT better with the low strings. It will even occasionally pick up on my Ibanez electric whose low E is tune down to D-flat.

I use it without a problem on my J-150 and my 2 Masterbilts, mahogany and maple,.....I don't currently have a Rosewood guitar, so I can't give you any input on that.

Just when I was starting to soften to the idea of owning a capo that costs $79 or even $ 100, along comes this thread and I find that there are folks with expensive guitars and capos that have tuners that cost $19.99! I'm so confused!! I'm going to bed.

Peterson Strobostomp 2 (ridiculously accurate, and will change your feel for tuning forever, plus is super, super versatile)

Boss TU15 (great needle tuner, wonderful for the studio and a great casemate. I wish the mic wasn't so sensitive to background noise, but all my guitars have pickups so I can just plug it in and get a great result if the ambient noise is too heavy)

Boss TU2 (industry standard floor tuner, but not as accurate as the Peterson so this former mainstay is now my backup tuner)

Intelli IMT500

Intellitouch PT1

Korg CA-30

Boss TU-15

In order to get the Intelli and Intellitouch tuners to register the low E and some of the other strings at times, you need to make sure you DO NOT use a pick. Pluck the string with your finger and it should register. I initially couldn't get them to register some of the strings either, until I read the directions better.

Intelli IMT500

Intellitouch PT1

Korg CA-30

Boss TU-15

In order to get the Intelli and Intellitouch tuners to register the low E and some of the other strings at times' date=' you need to make sure you DO NOT use a pick. Pluck the string with your finger and it should register. I initially couldn't get them to register some of the strings either, until I read the directions better. [/quote']

I read the instructions, I tried using my fingers in various places along the guitar and neck, I tried using different picks, I tried changing the battery, I tried moving the thing to different places on the headstock, you name it, I tried it. The thing is, you shouldn't have to work so hard just to get the tuner to work. My particular unit is a dud.

I chime in with my Korg GA-30 which is now six years old and only running on its second battery !!!

I was taking lessons from a Jazz guy who used a Boss TU-12, I believe, and it beeped when you were perfectly in tune. I would never drop the $130 for this tuner, but if I got one for my birthday I would use it every day - it was exceptionally accurate.

Archived