Gibson Brands Forums

materbilt aj500me pickup question

aj500i

hi guys, ive decided to get an aj500me. thing is, the 2008 models have a shadow pickup system. its got the one with nano mag, nano flex mix plus a seperate input for a piezo plus an onboard tuner. so a total of 2 inputs. and the previous models have the lr baggs elements with only a volume control. i was wondering if the overkill shadow system might interfere with the unplugged sound compared to the simple baggs system. what do u guys think? last, which is most expensive and better from the 2? thanks.

The shadow system has a good sound if you can find one that works properly.I've had bad luck with them.The shadow system is by far more expensive than the element but the element is one of my favorite pickups.It has a great sound from deep bass to shimmery highs and it picks up just the right amount of body vibration as far as tapping goes.I'm sure the onboard shadow system could effect the sound of the guitar unplugged but probably not enough to make a big difference.My opinion is to play the shadow system first and make sure it meets your needs and is not defective.The few that I have played had problems like: the nanomag not working at all and the nanoflex not having near the power as the nano mag.I could turn the nanoflex all the way up and not get enough sound and then pan it back over to the nanomag side and the volume would beway too loud.The problem dosen't come from the pickups, it's the preamp that they're having problems with.When I would switch the pickup inputs around on the preamp (meaning I would put the nanomag in the nanoflex plug and vice versa) I could get the other pickup to have alot of volume.They are really hit and miss systems.With all that said, I have never had or really heard of any problems with the Baggs Element and it sounds really nice.Hope this helps.

Archived