Gibson Brands Forums

Looking for help!

warpaint

Hello to all. I have a Epiphone PR745 I just received in trade. Can anyone tell me anything about them? It has a blue lable and was made in Japan. Is it worth keeping or should I send it down the road? Thanks for any help.](*,) ](*,)

Hello to all. I have a Epiphone PR745 I just received in trade. Can anyone tell me anything about them? It has a blue lable and was made in Japan. Is it worth keeping or should I send it down the road? Thanks for any help.:) :)

Any idea of the age of the guit? A serial number would probably help anyone who could check for the build date.

MIJ guits have become quite desirable--there are some very capable luthiers/craftsmen building in Japan. I own a MIJ acoustic/electric of a different brand and I can attest that it has the best acoustic guitar tone that I've ever heard. Electrically, it doesn't match modern models, but that can probably be remedied for a few hundred $$, too.

Good luck, wish I could help you more, you might have a keeper there.

Dugly

Hello to all. I have a Epiphone PR745 I just received in trade. Can anyone tell me anything about them? It has a blue lable and was made in Japan. Is it worth keeping or should I send it down the road? Thanks for any help.=D>:-k

The "PR" or "Presentation" series was started about 1979 and were made in Japan until 1983 when they moved production to Korea. The 745 is a mid-line model of this series and unless it had an "S" alpha suffix it was an all-laminated body. Depending upon condition and playability, it's worth maybe around $175-$200. There wasn't a significant difference in quality between the Japanese and Korean versions and neither version has much vintage or collector premium. If it's playable and in decent shape I'd see no reason to move it. You can do a lot worse for an acoustic guitar. Making a wild guess at its age I'd say 1980/81.

...and Al's your uncle.

Archived