Gibson Brands Forums

Quick String Question

bassplayer_71

Cutting 34" scale strings to suit 30.5" necks can be done but if you can avoid it then you are better off. I have a 25" scale P bass which is nearly impossible to buy strings for and I don't have much choice but to cut strings down or pay insane prices for a very limited selection of strings, none of which are in a gauge that I like.

The biggest problem I find with doing this is not the windings unraveling but that the string tension is very slack.

bassplayer_71 are you after flats or rounds for your EB-0?

I don't have much choice but to cut strings down or pay insane prices for a very limited selection of strings' date=' none of which are in a gauge that I like.

The biggest problem I find with doing this is not the windings unraveling but that the string tension is very slack.[/quote']

25" scale?! Yipes! That's shorter than some guitars... You would have to use very light gauge strings on a 25" scale bass, because it takes more tension to get heavier strings up to pitch, and the shorter the scale, the harder it is to achieve that tension..

There shouldn't be much of a tension problem on a 30.5" scale bass, though... I put long scale strings on my Viola once, and the strings had plenty of tension...

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Archived