Gibson Brands Forums

epiphone acoustic

larsomatic

• 3 weeks later...

The collapsing neck block wasn't a glue issue, but rather, a design issue. By routing out the neck pocket, they removed most of the neck block surface that was glued to the sound board. Barely 1/4" of glue surface along each side of the neck was not enough glue joint to hold the tug of 6 strings, let alone 12. The sixes made it out of the factory and most collapsed. The 12s, probably collapsed before they were even completely strung up. I've heard of very few 12s collapsing, but not many. Could be they were built tougher or had a bigger neck block. I'd love to see the inside of one of these to see what they did.

Epiphone was not the only one with this design. Fender had some flat-tops of this era with this design. Fender's solution was a ... for lack of a better word... miniature floor jack, positioned between the neck block and tail block to counteract the forces of the string tension. I had a pic of Hester Clark holdin' a Fender flat-top. The brace is clearly visible under the sound hole. Find a ksdaddy post over on the Gibson board. Click the link to his guitars. Look for the one called Palomino. It shows this brace.

Archived