Gibson Brands Forums

strings

dubstar

I had d'addario exp13 80/20 custom lights on for awhile now and enjoyed the feel and

sound, even when old...yesterday I switched to a set of elixir nanoweb custom lights, mainly because that's

what the shop had and recommend...

now, my restringing technique is not the greatest, but I am not liking these new elixir strings...they

sound more metallic and dead than than the old d'addarios...

any thoughts on either brand?

thanks

I prefer Dean Marlkey Alchemy GoldBronze strings. They have great projection, hold a tune better than any string I've ever used (other than cryogenically treated strings), have great tone and last forever (well, almost?).

The downside is price--easily twice what D'Addario's cost. GC sells them for around $13/set.

Oh, another feature I like--I seem to get better volume from the Dean Marlkey's, size for size, than other brands. This allows me to use lighter strings and get the volume I'm use to.

Dugly

What strings would you fellars use on a PR5-E acoustic/electric? I believe it originally had .013 80/20's on it. Currently I have D'addario ej26 phos bronze on it, but it really lacks bass . That could be due to it being a thin body. Any suggs? Thanx...Rob

Try the DR sunbeams. I did recently -- and a day after the newness wore-off: I was left with a very articulate - with great mid-range w/moderate sparkle sound.

Other favorites:

Martin's Clapton's choice

Martin SP

D'Addario EXP bluegrass (medium botton/light top)

Not-so-good:

Ernie Ball Acoustics

I prefer Dean Marlkey Alchemy GoldBronze strings. They have great projection' date=' hold a tune better than any string I've ever used (other than cryogenically treated strings), have great tone and last forever (well, almost?).

The downside is price--easily twice what D'Addario's cost. GC sells them for around $13/set.

Oh, another feature I like--I seem to get better volume from the Dean Marlkey's, size for size, than other brands. This allows me to use lighter strings and get the volume I'm use to.

Dugly [/quote']

+1 on the Dean Markley Alchemy strings but not at that price! You can buy Alchemy Gold Bronze or Gold Phos online for MUCH less! I get them at Strings and Beyond for $8.95 per set!

Dean Markley Alchemy Gold Bronze

I will 3rd the recommendation for the Dean Markley Alchemy strings... it is all I use these days

I tried the Elixar's and after 2 weeks, flakes of stuff kept coming off

Check out;

www.juststrings.com

The Dean Markley's are much cheaper there.

Dave

Based on what I saw on this thread, I restrung my AJ-100 with Dean Markley Alchemy Goldbronze last weekend after I replaced the stock machine heads. The strings made my entry level AJ sound brilliant. I highly recommend these strings as I can only imagine the tone a high-end AJ or DR might produce.

Archived