Gibson Brands Forums

WTB FT-130 Spruce Top Blue Label (NOT NORLIN)

bkasmauski

Hello all,

I am lookig for an erly '70's ft-130 spruce top with the blue Kalamazoo/ Made in Japan Label. It must be in good to excellent original playable condition. An original hard case is preferred, but not absolutely necessary. If you have one available please email me at william_kasmauski@yahoo.com

Thank you, Bill

Hello all' date='

I am lookig for an erly '70's ft-130 spruce top with the blue Kalamazoo/ Made in Japan Label. It must be in good to excellent original playable condition. An original hard case is preferred, but not absolutely necessary. If you have one available please email me at william_kasmauski@yahoo.com

Thank you, Bill[left'][/left]

There's absolutely no difference between an FT-130 with a blue Kalamazoo-type label and the post-1976 Norlin label. Both versions were made in Japan by Matsumoku and both were very near the bottom of the line with street prices around a hundred bucks so original hard cases are going to be very rare since the majority of the cases are going to be the cheaper fiberboard jobbies. The model started out in 1971 as a 6732E (prior to this it was an Aria 6732). In 1972 the model number was changed to FT-130 and the guitar remained unchanged until it was discontinued around 1980 with the exception of the label change about 1976. These are really common and readily available guitars and are usually available on E Bay for around $150 (which is the maximum anyone with any sense would pay). Since Norlin had owned Gibson/Epiphone since 1968 they were all products of Norlin anyway. The labels were just different. Good luck.

...and Al's your uncle.

If you're looking for the 'tone to die for', all be them, ill fated Norlins... possibly late Kalamazoo made Epis, Be aware of a neck problem. Not insurmountable, but worth noting and factoring in while you bid on these 70's FTs.

Here's how I repaired my FT145SB >>Fixing a Norlin FT guitar<<

I have reason to suspect the bolt-on neck FTs were started inKalamazoo... or the left over "Made in Kalamazoo", little blue labels were exhausted in Japan.

I can't prove it, but I believe by the time They went to the big brown Norlin label, the neck block issue was addressed at the factory. I have yet to see any brown labels with a collapsed neck block.... but I haven't seen that many.

If you're looking for the 'tone to die for'' date=' all be them, ill fated Norlins... possibly late Kalamazoo made Epis, Be aware of a neck problem. Not insurmountable, but worth noting and factoring in while you bid on these 70's FTs.

Here's how I repaired my FT145SB >>Fixing a Norlin FT guitar<<

I have reason to suspect the bolt-on neck FTs were started inKalamazoo... or the left over "Made in Kalamazoo", little blue labels were exhausted in Japan.

I can't prove it, but I believe by the time They went to the big brown Norlin label, the neck block issue was addressed at the factory. I have yet to see any brown labels with a collapsed neck block.... but I haven't seen that many.

The bolt-on neck Epiphones most certainly started in Japan. The Aria models that were originally modified to be sold as the first Epiphone imports had the same neck/body configuration since they were essentially the same guitar. Domestic (Kalamazoo) production of Epiphones ceased in the summer of 1970 and none of the Gibson-made Epiphones ever had bolt on necks and none of these Matsumoku-made Epiphones even vaguely resembled any of the Kalamazoo models. The blue Kalamazoo labels are a different story. I've seen actual Kalamazoo "Union made" labels on very early imported Epiphones so yeah, they probably used up their existing stock of the "union made" labels that were used on the Kalamazoo Epiphones. The next evolution of the label no longer had the "union made" designation but also didn't mention a country of origin. The last version of the Japanese blue label said "made in Japan" beneath the black border on the label on the lower right hand side. I don't know when or even if the neck block issue was ever addressed but I agree that I haven't seen any of the Norlin-labeled (post 1976) Epiphones with that problem but I have a '71 6830E (a/k/a FT-150) that never had a neck block issue as well as a late 70's Norlin-labeled FT-160 Texan 12 that also has never had any issues. On the other hand I've had three FT-570 (all pre-'75 with blue labels-two with rounded heels, one with a more pointed Martin-esque heel) that all had the same scarf joint separation at the heel problem.

...and Al's your uncle.

My preference is to obtain a reasonable priced, mid 1960's USA made FT-30 Caballero..

It doesn't have to be pristine, but it has to be structurally sound and no cracks.

Right now, they seem to be way over-priced on E-bay and a rarity on Craigslist and other sites.

Dave

They're hard to come by because them what has them like them and tend to keep them. The rest follows the law of supply and demand.

Good luck with your search Dave.

Iconcoclast,

I knew you'd have more details. I'd sure love to learn more about the evolution of Epiphones. You say there were two versions of the heeled Matsumokus. Do you have any pics? These were bolt-ons, correct?

• 2 weeks later...

Archived