Gibson Brands Forums

I am about to pick up a J45!!

Hi, forum. I am a first time poster.

I am from winnipeg, Canada....

Anyhow.. I am about to buy a J45!! I've saved up about 6 years and finally my wife told me OK!!

But here is a question my wife came up with...

When you go to a music store and buy a guitar off the wall(the display guitar).

should you pay the brand new price??

My wife thinks because the display guitar has been touched by who knows how many people with dirty/clean hands....

I shouldn't pay the brand new price... which is CDN$2075...

I think it's a good point and maybe when I go back to the store, I should ask for a discount.

But what do you think:p??

thank you for reading my post:)

Usually, the guitar on the wall isn't going to get reduced just because it has been played a bit. However, if you look the guitar over really carefully you might be able to find fine scratches on the back of the neck or back of the guitar and you can usually get $100 off for a few marks that disappear with a good polish.

You can always put a price in your mind and go in to make the offer - but $2075 for a J45 here in Canada (I am near Halifax) is a pretty good price - so if they won't take your offer you would have to be willing to walk. I would imagine that after six years of saving you are ready to have that new guitar - so look for some scratches and if you can't find them maybe you just want to pay the price.

Don't forget to register with the distributor for your warranty after you buy the guitar. In Canada, the warranty is not provided directly through Gibson.

is it long and mcquade? if so they might match any advertised US price (+duty) if you can find it cheaper. tool around online. look at GC, sweetwater, sam ash.... i'm in windsor, on - right next to detroit, mi so competition is pretty fierce here, especially with the strength of our dollar. i just bought the songerwriter deluxe at L&M for 2075. this actually beat the best US price i could find.

do they have a northern jumbo at your store? this guitar is so sweet and a signed collector's item (only 65 made) but a tad out of my range @ 2795.

Honestly, the most important thing about a J45 is not the price - its how it sounds & plays. I was extremely lucky to find a lefty one here in the UK that blew my socks off, but I know from reading many forums that they can be pretty inconsistent to say the least. Sooooo, please play as many as you can & compare the tone - this is way more important than saving $100c or whatever.

is it long and mcquade? if so they might match any advertised US price (+duty) if you can find it cheaper. tool around online. look at GC' date=' sweetwater, sam ash[/quote']

Yes, here in Winnipeg, Long and Mcquade is the only gibson dealer.

So they have told me that they would match any lower prices but im not sure if they would match the US price.

o and one more thing, when importing a car from the states, you usually don't pay duty if the car is made in America(us, canada and mexico).

is it the same for the guitars too??

thanks for the warm welcomes and replies!

Archived