Gibson Brands Forums

Anybody know the bridge and nut sizes for AJ-500's ??

solpig

Hey.

Anybody know the Bridge and Nut sizes for the regular AJ-500's ? I have the baggs in it.(height,width,depth)

I was thinking of upgrading the pieces on it to bone or Tusq, but it's hard to tell what THEY're using for they're measurements. My Rulers only measure in inches and standard english measurements ( 1/4's, 1/8ths, 16ths,etc.) and most of the people on ebay and such measure in decimal fractions of inches (1.681 ,etc)

The Tusq website has every guitar on the planet listed EXCEPT masterbilts.

I have a breedlove bridge that's too fat, yet on my crude measuring devices it's nearly indiscernible from the MB piece. I don't want one that'd flopping around .... the one in there right now was obviously filed by the prvious owner and he got a little carried away.

I was hoping someone on here has already swapped theirs out. I remember when I put a nut on a Martin, I had to check about 20 of them in the store before we found the right one. Like to avoid that (and paying the jacked up price at the store when they're dirt cheap from the supply houses!)

Thanks for any info

-piggy

Hey Piggy, i emailed bob colosi yesterday looking for some upgrades for my masterbilts. What he told me I need to make the proper measurements is a dial caliper. My buddy has a few at his pasta shop and is going to let me borrow one. The deal is each guitar will have to be measured individually. If you have a "harbor freight" store around you, they have one for 20. They also carry a decent digi hygro i picked up for 10. Keeps track of high/low, temp and such.

Yeah, Bob Colosi rocks! I have an AJ 500R. I ordered a saddle shim kit because I had one string/fet that buzzed a little on 12 or 13. Then a few weeks later I ordered bone faux tortise shell 3mm dot bridge pins. (I actually picked up a digital caliper at the local Harbor Freight as well.) I asked Bob if he could give them the vintage look. He said he would have to stain them, and they had to soak for 24 hours. Even with that process included, from his place in GA to me in Reno, I got them in about 3 days! The bridge pins make a big difference, especially in the sustain. And the vintage finish looks very cool. Check Bob's website, www.guitarsaddles.com. I recommend him for nuts, saddles, pins, etc. And he answers his own phone when you call him with questions.

The bridge & nut are already made of bone on my AJ500M. That's the cool thing about the masterbilts,

They've already upgraded the stuff that matters.

Mine is a 06 model, & their website states "bone" nut & saddle. I sanded the saddle down just a touch, & I can tell you for sure

it's bone!!

I'm not sure of the width, but I think it's 1& 11/16".

The bridge & nut are already made of bone on my AJ500M. That's the cool thing about the masterbilts' date='

They've already upgraded the stuff that matters.

Mine is a 06 model, & their website states "bone" nut & saddle. I sanded the saddle down just a touch, & I can tell you for sure

it's bone!!

I'm not sure of the width, but I think it's 1& 11/16".[/quote']yes the masterbilt are bone. also the best thing to do is send bob the saddle and nut if you can he will make them perfect.

yes the masterbilt are bone. also the best thing to do is send bob the saddle and nut if you can he will make them perfect.

Bob will match the "blank" size as carefully as possible, but he also leaves them a bit large so that they can be custom fit to the slot (for the saddle) and the nut can be custom fitted to the neck/fretboard.

I've modded numerous of my guits with Bob's products, both bone and his West African Hard Ivory, and currently have a Breedlove custom shop Deluxe Revival 000 under construction. Part of the negotiations with Breedlove for that guit were for them to allow me to furnish them with the blanks for the nut and saddle, as well as the bridge pins, the end pin, and a strap button. I bought that entire suite from Bob in his West African Hard Ivory, a very dense/hard type of ivory from smaller elephants that are not very commonly hunted. He uses all U.S. legal ivory for his products and WILL NOT ship them outside of the U.S.--many countries are difficult to deal with when ivory is concerned.

So, even if you send Bob your current saddle and nut, you'll still have to size it to your particular guit and also have the nut slotted for the gauge strings you're going to use. Nut files are very expensive, so it's best to leave this job to the luthier or shop tech (I do).

Dugly

Archived