Gibson Brands Forums

AXE git in sig?

rybass

AXE, do you mind explaining the git in you sig? I know you probably have already told the story but I couldn't find it in a search. Modified explorer? Gibson Custom shop? It's sweet no matter the case. It'll be a nice bedtime story this eve. Thanks

Edit for more info ..

7.8 LBS WITH A BEEFY 50'S NECK 57 CLASSIC PICK-UP'S 9+ CONDITION-ALL ORIGINAL AND IN UNPLAYED CONDITION...ONE PIECE KORINA BODY ONLY 25 WERE MADE (21 were mahogany 4 were Korina . Only 2 of the four are still in existance)AND THEY NEVER COME UP FOR SALE-MADE IN THE GIBSON USA CUSTOM SHOP THIS WAS A LIMITED RUN CUSTOM SHOP MODEL THAT SOLD FOR $5500.00 MODELED AFTER ERIC CLAPTON'S CUT EXPLORER GIBSON CUSTOM SHOP CERTIFICATE AND CASE CANDY INCLUDED WITH ORIGINAL GIBSON BLACK HISTORIC CUSTOM SHOP CASE

I had heard about "said" guitar but had never seen one . While playing a l'il gig at Pop' splace just east of St Louis I swung by a shop "the guitar exchange" St Charles Mo. And picked up a Firebird V . And enquired about a higher end Explorer .

The owner graciously brought me to his *private stock room and showed me the guitar . Drool *

After several counter offers she came home with me and has never left .

I bring her out for special occasions ... and Sundays.

Needless to say I got it for a song compared to it's actual worth ...

You know... when i read the threads title (i read it realy fast) i thought AXE was getting a signature from gibson: Gibson THE AXE, which is, by all means, a way better idea than the menace...

So AXE if that were to happen, what features would you want included in your signature axe (Epi version, gibson version) and what finishes would you want?

• 4 weeks later...
So AXE if that were to happen' date=' what features would you want included in your signature axe (Epi version, gibson version) and what finishes would you want?[/quote']

I've thought about this off and on for a bit .

1. Les Paul Shape .With a sculpted neck to body for easier access to the upper register .

2. Mahogany body. 3/16th of an inch thinner with Maple Flame or Korina top . Mahogany neck w/ rosewood fingerboard.

3. 57 style Humbuckers , 2 volume 2 tone , with a fade option like a balance , so both pu'ps could be left on full volume and fade between the two without touching the knobs , [placement TBT].

4. Color options minimal , Lightburst . Natural . or Heritage Cherry .

5.ABR-1 Bridge with T6 or comparable stop bar .

I'll think of more later .

Discuss ;

3. 57 style Humbuckers ' date=' 2 volume 2 tone , with a fade option like a balance , so both pu'ps could be left on full volume and fade between the two without touching the knobs , [placement TBT'].

Discuss ;

explain that?

i had our local tech wire my les pauls so when both Pups are on, either volume can be set to zero and you just blend the Pups how you want

(normally when either volume is zero, the guitar is totally quiet)

i had our local tech wire my les pauls so when both Pups are on' date=' either volume can be set to zero and you just blend the Pups how you want [/quote']

If Danelectro can do it on a $200 guitar, it should be simple enough on a LP.

I always wanted the fading ability on a LP, just never pursued it.

My Rickenbacker 381 V69 has a similar setup, very cool.

Can you say Ric-O-Sound?

If Danelectro can do it on a $200 guitar' date=' it should be simple enough on a LP.

[/quote']

idk how he did it, but the inspiration was from the danelctro lol

its wonderful, when i have the volume down to take away some of the crunch, but dont have the treble i want, i just add a little more bridge Pup

or vise-versa with bass

its REALLY useful for finding that sweet spot with clean tone

its wonderful' date=' when i have the volume down to take away some of the crunch, but dont have the treble i want, i just add a little more bridge Pup

or vise-versa with bass

[/quote']

And this would differ from the normal way Les Paul works exactly how? With normal wiring you can already blend the two pickups, and with addition of a cheap VOLUME PEDAL in front of the amp, run the volume up and down all you want while still blending the pickups to your heart's content... No need to have a tech meddle with your instrument and destroy the originality of it. Just my .50 (adjusted for inflation and higher gas prices)...

And this would differ from the normal way Les Paul works exactly how? With normal wiring you can already blend the two pickups' date=' and with addition of a cheap VOLUME PEDAL in front of the amp, run the volume up and down all you want while still blending the pickups to your heart's content... No need to have a tech meddle with your instrument and destroy the originality of it. Just my .50 (adjusted for inflation and higher gas prices)...[/quote']

no, stock , my les paul was wired in a way so if the toggle switch was in the middle, and either volume was @ 0, no sound would come out of the guitar

i believe the mod job is called the 50s wiring or something?

originality only matters if you plan on reselling it later

.50$???

thats like 1/1111119th a gallon of gas

lol

Archived