Gibson Brands Forums

Songs for duet

albertjohn

I've done a few gigs recently where a friend of mine has sung a few songs - Big Yellow Taxi, Baby Can I hold You, Mr Rock and Roll....and the like. She has a fine voice but is not what you might call soprano. She's having proper lessons and improving rapidly. We've decided to try to get a set of say 20 songs initially. We have 7 in good shape at the moment.

Any of you good folks, who have crossed this particular bridge, have any suggestions? I can sing a bit and can do some harmonies.

Cheers

As did I!

Lee Hazelwood gave Gram Parsons and the International Submarine Band the record deal that resulted in the Safe at Home album.

! I had no idea! I just watched an interview of him before he passed away. He was a good guy, and what a great voice.

Continuing on my Nancy quest for this evening, here's another nice duet, Nancy and dad doing Something Stupid. I still love this song all these years later.

http://ca.youtube.com/watch?v=gNmLzfiP0qU&feature=related

Islands in the Stream? No? :-k

Yes!! I love this song! Some great ideas here thanks. I don't know too much about Gram Parsons but have heard him on various radio programs in the UK. GP and ELH sounds a great combination so I'll track down a cd.

Thanks and please post any more suggestions when you have a moment to do so.

you're in for a treat, albert john. discovering gram and emmylou was, for me, like finding the holy grail. do a google search on gram parsons. read and listen all you can. not just about the music but his life and lifestyle, too. you'll see what a mark he left behind. his approach to country/rock changed everything for years to come. and with emmylou at his side as well....wow. their cover of 'love hurts" iblows away anyone elses. "hot burrrito #1" is probably the greatest and most mournful love song of all, imho. this might take you slightly off the "find the right guitar' course but it will change (for the better) the way you think about songwriting.

My old partner and I used to do a ton of Cash/Carter-Cash numbers.

I always liked Louisianna Woman, Mississippi Man too (Conway and Loretta). In spite of ourselves was usually in

the program. Dylan songs like Buckets of Rain and Don't think Twice work great. You can't go wrong

with Comes A Time era Neil Young. Wild Horses, Jolene, Blue Eyes Crying in the Rain. We would actually do just about anything. We did this folky version of Brown Sugar you wouldn't believe. We actually had the most fun on songs that were a bit a-typical for 2 voices and a guitar.

SOME of my favs-

starting with the classic combo of Tammy Wynette and George Jones;

Most unconventional- yet great vocal combo - Dolly Parton and Porter Wagner (lots on YouTube)

Most Beautiful Female Voice: Kate Brislin with Jody Stecher

Nicest Couple: Mac and Jenny Traynham

Best New Recording: Curtis Jones and Beverly Smith (ok, I'm in the old time scene now)

My favorite Artists: Tracy Schwartz and Ginny Hawker

I think that about does it for this year's Hoss award selections...:-k

Yes!! I love this song! Some great ideas here thanks. I don't know too much about Gram Parsons but have heard him on various radio programs in the UK. GP and ELH sounds a great combination so I'll track down a cd.

Thanks and please post any more suggestions when you have a moment to do so.

Yes, Peter just goes to prove the old Kris saying "if it sounds country then it is country"

As I know you know Islands in the Stream is a BeeGees song.

I am with Gram Parsons and Emmy Lou but also check out Mark Knopfler & Emmy Lou. Have Cd in my car and some really great duets in that. I am sure, unlike me, that Knopflers picking wouldn't phase you at all!

But it scares the Cr*p out of me!

I guess the important thing with a song is that you take it. respect it and try to use it to the best of your abilities. This sometiumes results in complete disasters like

Every single cover of " You've lost that Loving Feeling" and Irma Franklins "Piece of my Heart"

You and your partner will and should try all suggestions.

Island in the Stream has always been emotional karaoke but hell what hasn't?

Any people like it so give it to them!

And listen to "maninblack" because he hit three of my favourite songs in his post.

And perhaps for him and certainly for me listen to Highwayman (Jimmy Webb) It ain't romantic but what a fantastic song! You'll find it and others if you google The Highwaymen

Tak care mate!

I am with Gram Parsons and Emmy Lou but also check out Mark Knopfler & Emmy Lou. Have Cd in my car and some really great duets in that. I am sure' date=' unlike me, that Knopflers picking wouldn't phase you at all!

But it scares the Cr*p out of me![/quote']

Another challenge for the Doctor I feel.

On the ELH route, I'd like to try Evangaline - the duet she does with The Band - ref The Last Waltz. Sheer brilliance. Another not on the list is EC duet with ? on EC Was 'Ere, called Find My Way Home, an old Blind Faith song.

There are so many possibilities it's mind boggling but I'm going to have a great time learning this stuff. I think my iTunes account is also going to take quite a beating too.

Thanks again everyone but don't stop if you remember any others. This forum really is fabulous.

Here's one that someone mentioned. It's lighthearted and would probably get the crowd into a good mood.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F5axlwCBXC8&feature=related

Please accept this humble offering as an olive branch extended to you for my somewhat insulting comments regarding Brits, limeys, etc. You were merely collateral damage, in the line of fire for my true target, Johnt, who will no longer resopnd to me. If you see him ask him to forgive me. I enjoy the reparte' and innocent banter that goes on between us. My best friends are much more caustic in their interactions with me. All in good fun, Matie, and Bob's your uncle. No tosh or cobblers involved!! PS- Tell Johnt that his new avatar is much more flattering even tho' his hair in the previous photo was less grey!! lol

Please accept this humble offering as an olive branch extended to you for my somewhat insulting comments regarding Brits' date=' limeys, etc. You were merely collateral damage, in the line of fire for my true target, Johnt, who will no longer resopnd to me. If you see him ask him to forgive me. I enjoy the reparte' and innocent banter that goes on between us. My best friends are much more caustic in their interactions with me. All in good fun, Matie, and Bob's your uncle. No tosh or cobblers involved!! PS- Tell Johnt that his new avatar is much more flattering even tho' his hair in the previous photo was less grey!! lol[/size']

Gratefully accepted TW and no offence taken. I'd wager JT will view your comments in a similar fashion but I'm sure he'll let us know in due course. I've never met JT but his new avatar is really quite worrying. He looked so healthy in the previous one. Where has the shiny coat and wet nose gone. I only hope the latest avatar was taken shortly before a trip to the vet!

Thanks for the link. I can see I'm going to have to get learned up some.

Cheers Old Chap.

Quote TWilson

Here's one that someone mentioned. It's lighthearted and would probably get the crowd into a good mood.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F5axlwCBXC8&feature=related

Please accept this humble offering as an olive branch extended to you for my somewhat insulting comments regarding Brits, limeys, etc. You were merely collateral damage, in the line of fire for my true target, Johnt, who will no longer resopnd to me. If you see him ask him to forgive me. I enjoy the reparte' and innocent banter that goes on between us. My best friends are much more caustic in their interactions with me. All in good fun, Matie, and Bob's your uncle. No tosh or cobblers involved!! PS- Tell Johnt that his new avatar is much more flattering even tho' his hair in the previous photo was less grey!! lol

Gratefully accepted TW and no offence taken. I'd wager JT will view your comments in a similar fashion but I'm sure he'll let us know in due course. I've never met JT but his new avatar is really quite worrying. He looked so healthy in the previous one. Where has the shiny coat and wet nose gone. I only hope the latest avatar was taken shortly before a trip to the vet!

Thanks for the link. I can see I'm going to have to get learned up some.

Cheers Old Chap.

I am truly sorry TW that " your target" has been unavailable for your jibes!

But I would have thought that as you were getting creamed in the exchange you'd have relished the break.

I think I said, last week my wife was in Spain and I was therfore free to carry out all manner of outstnading jobs, such as trying to get to grips with "Sunny", wasting countless hours surfing looking for pics of J250 Monarchs and counting my pennies twords my SJ-300.

Banter is something we all should thrive on.

Life is too F****** serious! Credit crunch here, war there, the fact that you lot are exporting Chrysler Sebrings to us. and above all the fact that someone in the USA actually contrived a pile of crap called "Pushing up Daisies"

Distractions away from such heinous matters are very welcome.

Thanks for your comments re my change of avatar. I need a holiday and was just trying to urge myself on a bit. Whereas I expected that TW would rise to the fly I have to say that I was surprised at AJs intrusion, wet nose indeed! At my age I am lucky that's all!

The "Battle across the pond" appararently now applies to the Thames estuary as well as the Atlantic!

My best reagrds to you both, I think my reply is not as agile as maybe it could have been but I am tired after cleaning the house for wife's return.

John

JT - I'm happy to sign up to The Thames Estuary Truce. We need to join forces in case the US sat navs malfunction and they try to steal all our women again - you know, the ones with the extra large wrists. There are plenty in Kent and Essex!

Archived