Gibson Brands Forums

Epi EC-25 Espana Info Needed

bkasmauski

Hello All,

I snagged another one, I wasn't going to buy it and my wife almost killed me when she found out. When I saw the beauty in this one I just could not pass it up. It Is an EC-25 Espana model. From the blue Made In Japan Label I would date it to around early 1970's. It is serial #20403. I like those tuners, they are the same ones used on my 6732 but the 6732 are chrome. I like the fact that the neck is set and not bolt on. It even has its original Epiphone vintage hard case. Both the guitar and the case are in really nice original condition. I am trying to pin the date down if possible and an approximate value. I appreciate any info that anyone can offer up. Here are a few pics, thanks in advance. bkasmauski

EpiphoneEC-25-3.jpg

EpiphoneEC-25-2.jpg

EpiphoneEC-25-1.jpg

The only think I can tell you about it is I saw one like it once I almost brought it home

with me. Only problem someone else was playin' it. #-o

Nice purchase. =P~

At some point, when your instruments become numerous enough, the Missus will not notice

you've acquired a new one. I haven't figured out how many that is yet. I'll let you know.

She kept 2 kids from me for 6 years. I thought we had only two. She kept all four from bein'

in the same room at the same time and I thought for sure we only had two... go figure... 8-[

Hello All' date='

I snagged another one, I wasn't going to buy it and my wife almost killed me when she found out. When I saw the beauty in this one I just could not pass it up. It Is an EC-25 Espana model. From the blue Made In Japan Label I would date it to around early 1970's. It is serial #20403. I like those tuners, they are the same ones used on my 6732 but the 6732 are chrome. I like the fact that the neck is set and not bolt on. It even has its original Epiphone vintage hard case. Both the guitar and the case are in really nice original condition. I am trying to pin the date down if possible and an approximate value. I appreciate any info that anyone can offer up. Here are a few pics, thanks in advance. bkasmauski

[img']http://i304.photobucket.com/albums/nn178/bkasmauski/Epiphone%20EC-25%20Espana/EpiphoneEC-25-3.jpg[/img]

EpiphoneEC-25-2.jpg

EpiphoneEC-25-1.jpg

The EC-25 was always the EC-25 and was introduced as an imported Epiphone model in 1971 along with the rest of the Matsumoku-made, former Aria guitars. About as close as you can get with these models, (and guessing by the serial number-which is iffy at best) I'd agree with you and say between 1972 and 1975. I own an EC-20....and I own a Ramirez 2A...the EC-20 that I bought at a flea market for $45 gets played more...The EC-25 was the top of the Epiphone classical line but was still all-laminated woods... cedar top/rosewood body. I'd guess around $150-$175 for a value.

...and Al's your uncle

• 7 years later...

The EC-25 was always the EC-25 and was introduced as an imported Epiphone model in 1971 along with the rest of the Matsumoku-made, former Aria guitars. About as close as you can get with these models, (and guessing by the serial number-which is iffy at best) I'd agree with you and say between 1972 and 1975. I own an EC-20....and I own a Ramirez 2A...the EC-20 that I bought at a flea market for $45 gets played more...The EC-25 was the top of the Epiphone classical line but was still all-laminated woods... cedar top/rosewood body. I'd guess around $150-$175 for a value.

...and Al's your uncle

AHEM, you are INCORRECT, Sir. the EC-25 is a SOLID WOOD (Cedar) TOP, NOT A LAMINATE. I have one of these guitars and it sustains and resonates FAR better than any laminate. AND, it has beautiful rosewood back and sides which sure look solid to me but could possibly be laminate but I doubt it...and a glorious EBONY fingerboard. It sold for $225.00 in 1974-75 which, according to the consumer price index is $1025.00 in todays money. It's NOT worth "$150-175", K? I attached a page from the Epiphone catelog:post-76699-013634100 1454432582_thumb.jpg

AHEM, you are INCORRECT, Sir. the EC-25 is a SOLID WOOD (Cedar) TOP, NOT A LAMINATE. I have one of these guitars and it sustains and resonates FAR better than any laminate. AND, it has beautiful rosewood back and sides which sure look solid to me but could possibly be laminate but I doubt it...and a glorious EBONY fingerboard. It sold for $225.00 in 1974-75 which, according to the consumer price index is $1025.00 in todays money. It's NOT worth "$150-175", K? I attached a page from the Epiphone catelog:post-76699-013634100 1454432582_thumb.jpg

nice little 7 year old thread

Still, I find it important to correct false information. The Epiphone wiki is as much guilty of serious blunders and inconsistencies as Epiphone themselves were in their ads and catalogues back then and even today.

I agree it's good to correct false info but value can't be assessed by what the guitar sold for in the mid '70's using a consumer price index to value it at a grand. from what I've seen (when I've seen them) people list them around 3-500 dollar range. just my 2 cents though.

I agree it's good to correct false info but value can't be assessed by what the guitar sold for in the mid '70's using a consumer price index to value it at a grand. from what I've seen (when I've seen them) people list them around 3-500 dollar range. just my 2 cents though.

Of course, one grand is ludicrous — I was more referring to the solid top of that guitar; I'd even find the price range of 300-500 bucks for her quite optimistic.

Of course, one grand is ludicrous — I was more referring to the solid top of that guitar; I'd even find the price range of 300-500 bucks for her quite optimistic.

agreed. I saw one on Reverb.com for around 450. not sure if it sold. I'm guessing not at that price

Archived