Gibson Brands Forums

Deck Ratin'

TommyK

I'm so giddy, I can hardly contain myself.

This spring, since becoming 'empty nesters', my wife has conceded to allow me a 11x11 space all to myself..!

My daughter is visiting and is painting my 'Music Room.' GOD you don't know how good it is to be able to say that, "My.... Music..... Room.....". My daughter decided on a tan color to match the color of my guitars' tops. cool.

Anyways I' got this hairbrained idea to 'burst' the corners in a cremona brown. Or better yet heritage cherry. Whatta ya think?

Any other suggestions on the set-up? It's an upstairs, former bedroom. The carpeting needs replaced, but I like the looks of lamenate wood flooring we've used in other rooms of the house.

I've got my music room! I've got my music room!.... (sung to the tune of "Nanner, nanner, nanner".) :-k

Pick up some discarded acoustic pickguards or even trace them onto some scrap material, something fairly durable. Try to get a few different shapes; a J200 shape, an J45 batwing, an H'Bird, a Martin, an old Fender, a Guild, WHATEVER you can come up with.

Mask off the upper part of the walls so only the top 8" or so is exposed. Hold the guards up against the wall in that strip in a horizontal fashion and spray paint around them, leaving the silhouette. Bump over 18" or so and do the next one. The pattern will repeat eventually but it will be dictated by how many guards you have.

So you will end up with a border of guitar guards in a complimentary color.

Pick up some discarded acoustic pickguards or even trace them onto some scrap material' date=' something fairly durable. Try to get a few different shapes; a J200 shape, an J45 batwing, an H'Bird, a Martin, an old Fender, a Guild, WHATEVER you can come up with.

Mask off the upper part of the walls so only the top 8" or so is exposed. Hold the guards up against the wall in that strip in a horizontal fashion and spray paint around them, leaving the silhouette. Bump over 18" or so and do the next one. The pattern will repeat eventually but it will be dictated by how many guards you have.

So you will end up with a border of guitar guards in a complimentary color.[/quote']

That's a darn good idea! If you have any old parts guitars laying around, they make great table lamps.

Also, cymbals make for a great sconce lamp shape.

That's a good idea KSDADDY!

Now to get graphics of the PGs.????

Ya know I just had another brain f&rt. How about putin' a pick guard around the door knob! Yeah, that's it... that's the ticket! Boy KSDADDY, you're good for somethin'!

I'm so giddy' date=' I can hardly contain myself.

This spring, since becoming 'empty nesters', my wife has conceded to allow me a 11x11 space all to myself..!

My daughter is visiting and is painting my 'Music Room.' GOD you don't know how good it is to be able to say that, "My.... Music..... Room.....". My daughter decided on a tan color to match the color of my guitars' tops. cool.

Anyways I' got this hairbrained idea to 'burst' the corners in a cremona brown. Or better yet heritage cherry. Whatta ya think?

Any other suggestions on the set-up? It's an upstairs, former bedroom. The carpeting needs replaced, but I like the looks of lamenate wood flooring we've used in other rooms of the house.

I've got my music room! I've got my music room!.... (sung to the tune of "Nanner, nanner, nanner".) [-X [/quote']

Hey Tommt congratulations!

It reminds me that three years ago my darling wife allowed me a 8 X 6 area for my very own also.

Unlike yours, which sounds like a room i.e in a house, mine was a shed in the garden.

Predictably it is now full of lawn mowers, lounger chairs and for all I know Shergar and Lord Lucan (<You US peeps might need further explanantion)

On Sh*t! I hope that you precious area doesn't turn out like that!

Can I suggest that you buy a bottle of Old Spice or Brut (< VERY NASTY 1970s aftershaves) and spray it all over the door. Then purchase a copy of "Health & efficenciency" magazine preferably dated 1967 Sept and stick page 13 (featuring Gelda from Sweden) on the door.

This and a regular emissions of excess wind from both the anus and the belly through the mouth just may ensure that you hold on to that precious 121 square feet of space!

Best of luck mate and if all else fails then simply feign a mojor GAS attack and fill that space with Gibbos. Tell her they're an investment!

And always remember

"That's waht Mastercard is for"

not ever having been married, this thread is an interesting glimpse into one aspect of it. territory. i guess i should be feel lucky my girlfriend let's me keep a guitar at her house! (not a gibson, BTW! those are all close at hand)

not ever having been married' date=' this thread is an interesting glimpse into one aspect of it. territory. i guess i should be feel lucky my girlfriend let's me keep a guitar at her house! (not a gibson, BTW! those are all close at hand)[/quote']

It's incredibily simple Rob and you are dead right it is about territory!

But I have three Gibsons, two of which my wife has helped finance one way or another and various other guitars totally 11 at moment!

In a previous relationship ( that is 23 years of marriage) they were kept in a wardrobe, now they are in the study and she doesn't close the door EVERY time I play!

But as I am sure you know, sometimes you just need to play for yourself and that's why I hope TommyK gets his space.

I have mine, all joking aside, but I still have to shut the loft window as the neighbour's cats head for for the hills evrytime I try "Sunny"

BR

John

Real Estate IS the name of the game. She has reign over decorating the rest of the house, including the bedroom. It's all good I can't see the floweredy curtains and clouds painted on the wall in the dark anyways. Currently she wants to have me share my music space with at least one twin bed for use when the grandkids come home. :-s I'm hoping to negotiate for a futon. You know that's one of the greatest inventions to come out of Europe. The futon. A couch you can open up into a bed that is actually comfortable to sleep in!

I have some rudimentary recording equipment, a comfortable playing chair, stand, reading lamp, a bunch of music books, and plans for a guitar rack.

Johnt you're indeed going to have to explain that Sugar and Lord Duncan. Something to do with doughnuts, I suspect. Probably is analogous to finding Jimmy Hoffa's body or D.B.Cooper here in The States.

Johnt you're indeed going to have to explain that Sugar and Lord Duncan. Something to do with doughnuts' date=' I suspect. Probably is analogous to finding Jimmy Hoffa's body or D.B.Cooper here in The States.[/quote']

Yes guess it is.

So From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia! I was going to write but this is esaier!

Shergar (born 1978. Sire: Great Nephew, Dam: Sharmeen) was an acclaimed racehorse, and winner of the 1981 Epsom Derby by a record 10 lengths, the longest winning margin in the race's 226-year history. This victory earned him a spot in The Observer newspaper's 100 Most Memorable Sporting Moments of the Twentieth Century [1]. A bay colt with a distinctive white blaze, Shergar was named European Horse of the Year in 1981 and was retired from racing that September.

Two years later, on February 8, 1983, he was kidnapped by masked gunmen from the Ballymany Stud, near The Curragh in County Kildare, Ireland [2] with the body never being discovered. The incident has been the inspiration for several books, documentaries, and a movie!

Richard John Bingham, 7th Earl of Lucan (born 18 December 1934), known as Lord Bingham from 1949 to 1964 and colloquially known as "Lucky" Lucan[1], was or is a missing British aristocrat who disappeared on 8 November 1974 after his children's nanny Sandra Rivett was found murdered. Lucan's current whereabouts are unknown, and many, including his wife, presume him to be dead.

Enthralling Eh?

Yes I checked DB Cooper and it's all the same song!

Back in the 80s a friend said he had an old Supro lap steel up in his attic and I could have it. Trouble is, he couldn't ever find it. His wife claimed he gave it away earlier and he swore it was still up there. Henceforth any time we were asked as to the location of some item and we didn't have a clue as to where it was, our standard answer was "Yep, it's up in the attic right beside the Supro."

Dumb but it often would make Colt 45 come out the other's nose, so it was good.

Reggie R.I.P. 1940-1997

having one's own space is very important to me - both from a player's standpoint and that of a songwriter. there's a sensitivity present. i don't want roommates, spouses, significant (or insignificant) others hearing me go throught the uglier, experimental stages of a song in its infancy. quite honestly, sometiimes it sounds horrible and even i wish i'd never heard it. when songwriting, i don't want to be affected by that little voice that whispers "oh god, what if someone hears this...!?!" my own sound(proof) space is integral to that. i mean...i'm good, but i can't be AMAZING all the time!

The pickguard border is pretty cool actually but rather than paint around them make a pattern then you could paint them brown or sponge paint a tortoise pattern or firestripe etc. then they would stand out on you tan walls just like real life. Just dont go getting any crown moulding that is Mother of Pearl or Perloid that would be over the top unless your really a Porter Wagoner fan or something. There's a few websites that have outlines of pickguards you can copy. I'll hunt it down and edit the post if can find it.

I actually have a large music room/studio the size of a garage 25' x 18' or something like that, I have one end wall built in with doors for climate controlled storage of acoustics and a large shelf unit for books and magazines and the rest of the walls are coverred with acoustic foam up four feet and then Guitars :D/

here it is in my Avatar

<-----------------

I love the room and it is part of the house we had the house built so it was soundproofed and has it's own bathroom and a/c controls and all the stuff so it's nice. other than that I'm like most other men I get ownership of the garage and for some unknown reason to me I seem to own the garbage it's her kitchen and her bathroom but the garbage it's all mine =D>

Actually, I was thinking of doing something like this with the ceiling:

http://www.frets.com/FRETSPages/Musician/Guitar/XGallery/XGalleryViews/gibson95.jpg (thanks Frank)

Kerfing might not be a bad choice for crown and base molding too.

Tan base might be just the ticket for simulating genuine rosewood sides.

Is it too hairbrained?

Actually' date=' I was thinking of doing something like this with the ceiling:

http://www.frets.com/FRETSPages/Musician/Guitar/XGallery/XGalleryViews/gibson95.jpg (thanks Frank)

Kerfing might not be a bad choice for crown and base molding too.

Tan base might be just the ticket for simulating genuine rosewood sides.

Is it too hairbrained?

very cool idea. done like a cathedral ceiling? reminds me of the sistine chapel - maybe the sixteen(th) fret chapel.

very cool idea. done like a cathedral ceiling? reminds me of the sistine chapel - maybe the sixteen(th) fret chapel.

Good 'un.

I nicked some PG profiles. I'll see what I can do with them.

Archived