Gibson Brands Forums

EJ-200CE stereo or mono output ?

pham

Hi all,

Could anyone please tell me is that true, the EJ-200CE with the outputs labeled as stereo but they always output as mono, in other words the Right channel is completely silent.

I wonder if that's true or my guitar got defected, I've bough it for 1 week

Thank y'all

I thought you had to run two cables when running stereo?

Oh thanks, that makes sense now. I though it supposedely to be the 1/4" stereo jack (L-R channels on the same jack)

But you right, I need two cables to run stereo

Thanks,

Just an update for my Epiphone output,

I've run two cables, the sound is great but I'm not sure the stereo is good as the "real stereo" or not ???

I guess inside they routed the piezo pickup to one hole and the other pickup type (may be resonator ?) from different location to the other hole. The default result ends up with one channel sounds more bass/ but less high frequency than the other. However, I can also play with the knobs and the slider to change the sound until I like it,

Now comes up my silly question =P~

I wonder if we have some kind of user manual or any document describes the function of those knobs and slider of that pre-amp, and also the electric wiring diagram of the guitar?

I had a ej 300sce it wasn't stereo when did the 200 start stereo it doesn't say that in MF

Well, that's strange - I believe most the EJ-200ce are mono, don't know why mine is stereo, I didn't care much this feature when I bough it, but now I like the way it is. It can output either mono (both pickups) or stereo with two cables

I have the esonic-2 on my AJ-500RE. I had it to my local shop 3 times, and I sent it in to Epiphone. The local guy replaced the preamp twice. Epiphone replaced the batteries. I don't know how the first esonics are, but you can't leave the batteries in the esonic 2. They will die in a day. I emailed Epiphone's tech service probably 5 times now. You think they would have mentioned that. I still think there is a flaw in the preamp. It shouldn't chew through batteries like that. I could see if I left the cord plugged in or the tuner on, but I never did. But it does sound great playing mono or stereo.

I have the esonic-2 on my AJ-500RE. I had it to my local shop 3 times' date=' and I sent it in to Epiphone. The local guy replaced the preamp twice. Epiphone replaced the batteries. I don't know how the first esonics are, but you can't leave the batteries in the esonic 2. They will die in a day. I emailed Epiphone's tech service probably 5 times now. You think they would have mentioned that. I still think there is a flaw in the preamp. It shouldn't chew through batteries like that. I could see if I left the cord plugged in or the tuner on, but I never did. But it does sound great playing mono or stereo.[/quote']

Sorry to hear that, but mine seems to work fine. Here's what I though about the Esonic-2 "manual"

http://www.epiphone.com/news.asp?NewsID=1239

It's almost a good document about the Esonic-2 preamp, except one detail in the specification section, the battery life is claimed to be 100 hours. For this number of 100 hrs, I believe it's the playing time with at least one jack plugged in

Here's my assumtion:

When no jack plugged in and the tuner is off, the batteries must not be drained or the quiescent current must be very minimal in range of micro ampere or less, so that the batteries can retain for year(s). So, if Epiphone cares about their product I think they need to clarify this feature !!!

With my own experience, I think that's the way it supposes to be. So far I've played the guitar with new batteries for 3 weeks, about 30 min ~ 1 hr per day after work :-) and the batteries are still OK. When I stop playing I always make sure the tunner is off and no jack plugged in. I think if we left the jack plugged-in for just for 5 days the batteries will run out

Here's my question (for Epiphone :-)

When no jack plugged in, is the circuit auto turned off (current = 0 A) or it draws some current? What's is the quiescent current value ?

I have a Masterbilt with the new eSonic2 system. It's certainly different but in my opinion, not complicated. What complexity it does have is worth the benefits I think.

The output of the new eSonic2 preamp is either MONO (both pickups summed together using a standard 1/4 cable) or STEREO (each pickup out their respective outputs - NanoMag and NanoFlex - using two (2) standard 1/4 cables).

I route the NanoFlex (bridge) to channel 1 of the PA and pan it to about 9 o'clock. I route the NanoMag (neck) to channel 2 of the PA and pan it to about 3 o'clock. I like the sound of the NanoMag best for bass so I boost the bass tone control on it. I like the sound of the NanoFlex best for the treble so I boost the treble tone control on it. The effect is that when I strum the strings, the sound appears to move from left to right. It really opens up the sound of the guitar. It's amazing and makes the guitar sound huge.

I've also experimented with adding a Chorus pedal to only one output (NanoMag or NanoFlex). That's a very cool effect as well. Reverb or Flanger can we used in the same way also.

I don't know of any other system (especially in this price range) that can do those things. Personally, I like the new system.

• 2 years later...

Wow... here it is June of 2010 and they still haven't changed their user manual to include that very important piece of information that Sandman has given us. I assumed that the Stereo jack was a TRS and I could just use a TRS - Y cable and split it. Sad part is that I called Gibson to verfy this and they said that I could do exactly that. Here is my current problem. If I am just using the "mono" channel and set the blend to the nanomag p/u only, then I am getting an extremely weak signal.

Any ideas.. (not that it should matter but this is on the new DR-500MCE guitar, not and EJ200CE)

• 10 years later...
  • 6 months later...

I bought my  EJ 200 SCE  around 2015, friends liked it too, got  3 more for them (they paid me of course)

The best selling point are the electronics, as with a little tweeking, all sorts of range. I also was under the impression that with the ring around 

the outputs, you could run a TRS  splitter, NOPE.... Little disappointed, but hey, the mono more than covers ANYTHING , and tone you wish.

Two cables wont work for me on stage, but I recently got a couple of the little Wireless Bugs they advertise all over the place. Got mine from Donner 3 yrs ago

Run One in each output, Man!!!! What a tone, EJ sounds like a million bucks through the P.A.

Rip Van Hotling, Either they changed the guitar entirely, or you've been had.  6 months since your post, hope it got resolved