Gibson Brands Forums

Les Paul 100 vs Special II

Check out the specs on the Epiphone site, that will be helpful, both are solid guitars, but personal preference generally wins out. My suggestion, go to your local music superstore and play several of each and see which one talks to you. You'll know. Good luck and post pics when you get something.

Thanks bluesstringer! :-

I checked the site before I posted. Problem is I really don't know what's what. It's amazing all the stuff around, different models, specs, etc that there are today!! I don't remember it being like this ten years ago.

I'll try to find a store here that has both models, but I doubt I can. Basically I'm just trying to find out if the extra features are worth the extra cash...

Hello and welcome, vertigo!

The LP100 has more appointments that make it look more like a Les Paul Standard. But both guitars are similar...two pickups, bolt-on neck, etc. I don't know what the differences between them are (if any), can someone chime in with that info?

What is the pricing of those guitars like in Portugal?

Hi. Welcome to the forum. I was an owner of both guitars, in lefty. And I preferred the LP 100. I think it looked better and had a better hard rock sound. I thinned out the herd, and sometimes wish I had the LP-100 around as a kick around guitar.

They are both low-end 'beginner' guitars and as such they are pretty good. While the LP-100 and the Special II share the same bolt-on neck and ceramic pickups, the LP-100 has an arched top (the Special II is flat) and you get twice as many knobs, and better tuners. Also the Special IIs are plywood while the LP-100 is supposed to be made of solid wood. Bottom line, if you are budget restricted get the Special II for now so you'll have something to play while you save up for something decent to replace it; spending the extra money on an LP-100 is not going to result in any tangible improvement overall that will justify the expense.

What is the pricing of those guitars like in Portugal?

Special II = 150 euros = $236

LP100 = 252 euros = $396

I was paying more attention to the differences in the hardware than on the guitar looks. Now that I see the photos closely, I think I’ll go for the LP100. It really looks more like a Les Paul Standard.

Thanks for all your input guys! This is a great forum!!

Now I'll have to choose a new amp and a modeling processor. My old amp is dead after 10 years left in a humid basement. O:)

Look at the epi lp studio first...

thicker body.. carved top.. grover tuners..

I know the pickups are better because I have a studio and an lp 100 and a g310 which uses the same pickups as the lp special..

I put the studio pups in the G 310 and it's much better sounding!

the thin bodys of the special AND the lp 100 are nice if you don't like heavier..

on all three of mine the fretwork was about equal.. some slight fret buzz on the lower two strings.

cavitys were all sheild painted.. switches knobs and caps were all identical..

just the pickups electronically speaking seemed to vary.

the studio has alnico mags where the others are ceramic.

on the lp 100 and the G310 I thought the low e was somewhat muted.

So.. my advice again is consider the slightly more expensive epi lp studio..

that being said.. the lp 100 was pretty nice.. much better than I thought. but quite a bit more money.

prettier.. but no better in the playing or sounding department that I could hear.

the studio on the other hand did sound better, and I prefer the regular thickness body.

good luck!

So.. my advice again is consider the slightly more expensive epi lp studio..

Went to a guitar store this afternoon and the guy had the some opinion as you TWANG. Unfortunately he told me that there was no sunburst version of the studio and I really want it that way since it's kind of like a childhood dream. :) Seems like the guy is right since I can't find it either on the epi site' date=' though there's one here...

Epiphone LP Studio Vintage Sunburst

About the Vintage guitar Myrdhinn suggested, it looks great but it's a little bit more than what I'm willing to spend right now. The price on the site doesn't have taxes (21% more). How did you find a Portuguese site Myrdhinn? :)

How much is 235 euros in bucks?

1 euro = 1.5 bucks?

400 bucks I guestimate.

A little high for here.. 329.00

there's this one

http://cgi.ebay.com/Epiphone-LES-PAUL-Studio-SUNBURST-Electric-Guitar_W0QQitemZ320239758021QQihZ011QQcategoryZ2384QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

but I don't know if you want that...

what's an lp 100 sell for over there?

I'd sell you my sunburst but I put P90s in that baby *L*

Archived