Gibson Brands Forums

Harmonic tuning...

onewilyfool

Found this on Kevin Ryan's luthier site....interesting:

The Method:

Tuning Notes:

A) When you tune the following fretted notes to the harmonics, tune them "beatless"-- i.e., without any hint of "rolling" or pulsating as the two notes synchronize. When two notes get closer, their "beating" slows down until it disappears altogether when they are perfectly in tune. This is very important! This is the skill to be gained!

:-k In each step below, pluck the harmonic first. Then fret and pluck the designated string. This allows you to hear both notes simultaneously. Then tune the appropriate string.

1) Tune the D string to a known source

2) Pluck the 12th fret harmonic of the D then tune the G (fretted at the 7th fret) to this harmonic.

3) Pluck the same 12th fret harmonic of the D then tune the B (fretted at the 3rd fret) to this harmonic

4) Pluck the 12th fret harmonic of the G and tune the High E fretted at the 3rd fret to this harmonic

5) Tune the 12th fret harmonic of the A to the G fretted at the 2nd fret (pluck the harmonic first!)

6) Tune the 5th fret harmonic of the Low E to the High E open (pluck the harmonic first!)

Very helpful. I tend to use the 7th and 5th fret harmonics but also start with open D.

The "rolling" you refer to reminds me of my old Brass Band master from School circa 1977 when he compared the sound to Lancaster bombers flying over London on their way over the English Channel. He's long since departed but that analogy has always stuck with me.

Archived