Gibson Brands Forums

Epi "factory 2nd's" for sale on Sam Ash website

Amino Moore

Hi gang,

You know all the discussions we've had on here regarding factory 2nd's and "B Stock"?

Well I just went to the Sam Ash website to nose around in the clearance dept and stumbled on this:

http://www.samash.com/catalog/groups.asp?GroupCode=epi_bstock&cm_mmc=HOMEPAGE-_-043008-_-EPIBSTOCK

I guess it was inevitable considering the volume of factory 2nd guitars that have been selling through wholesale distributors on eBay. Sam Ash must have decided to cash in on the "2nd" market that is growing exponentially.

Epi China must be producing an incredible volume of product to have this much factory 2nd product.

Here's the blurb from the item description:

This item is a Factory Second. Generally, Epiphone #2 product has been down-graded from a #1 due to a cosmetic flaw that in no way impacts the playability of the instrument. They are stamped on the back of the headstock as a “second”. This inventory is purchased as is and cannot be returned because of the cosmetic flaw but all normal warranty issues are covered.

Even Gibson sold factory 2nd's at one time in the past.

Hi gang' date='

I guess it was inevitable considering the volume of factory 2nd guitars that have been selling through wholesale distributors on eBay. Sam Ash must have decided to cash in on the "2nd" market that is growing exponentially.

Epi China must be producing an incredible volume of product to have this much factory 2nd product.

[/quote']

Musician's Friend put a bunch of refurbs up on its site the other day, incluidng three Masterbilt acoustics. These are sold with the full Epiphone lifetime warranty, and also (unlike Sam Ash) with a 45 day return privelidge. I've bought a couple of refurbs in the past, and the cosmetic flaws ranged from extremely minor to minor. If they're sold with a return policy, an Epiphone refurb from a major online retailer is worth a look. They're all marked with a USED or 2ND stamp on the back of the headstock, so if you're concerned with resale value, stay away. A regular blem, which is another customer's return, would be a better bet.

Red 333

I have to wonder if these 2nd's go through the same 'US Inspection & Setup' before being sent to retaillers that the non-blemished are claimed to have done.

I sent a post to customer service to get and idea of what they do for setup and never got a reply.

"I sent a post to customer service to get and idea of what they do for setup and never got a reply. "

That may infact be your answer! Not much....is my guess. They make sure the guitars don't fret out and set the string height and ballpark the intonation....but that's about it really. I've never taken a guitar out of the box(or off the wall @GC) that didn't need a complete set-up and new strings.

Archived