Gibson Brands Forums

acoustic vs. acoustic/electric

david3000

How do Gibson acoustic/electrics compare to pure Gibson acoustics regarding tone?

Is there any degredation or less pure sound due to the pickup under the saddle?

Thanks.

For a well-installed pickup in a good-sounding guitar, there should not be a discernible loss of sound, either quality or volume. Poorly-done installs, that is certainly possible. I've had dozens of pickups installed and I can't say that I've ever noticed a degraded sound from those instruments.

Fred

I have tested that a few times and I can't hear a difference on a well set up guitar I actually like pickups in a guitar if for no other reason than tuning in noisy environments and being able to record directly into a computer DAW or a small digital recorder when I write, sound hole pickups just never seem as simple or easy. I know it loses some of it's historic accuracy or ??? but I like them overall more with a pickup installed.

I bought a new SJ200 historic collection (made 2005) in September last year but it had some 'cosmetic' problems and had to return. My replacement was the new SJ with built in pickup (July 2007) and I have to say that I couldn't spot any obvious difference acoustically between the two.

Received a Marshall AS50D acoustic amp for Xmas, and the sound with Gibby plugged in? Wow............................!!!

Archived