Gibson Brands Forums

Is J45 a all solid wood guitar?

Hi, guys...

Is J45 a all solid wood guitar?

Top Species: Premium Sitka Spruce

Back And Sides: Mahogany

thats what it says on the gibson website

It'd be a huge surprise for me, if it wasn't.. because it is such a nice sounding guitar...

and also if it isnt all solid I think its a little bit expensive...

thanks for the quick reply.

I wonder why they mention "solid" on some guitars and not on some other guitars... on the website..

goodness.. I can't wait till I get my J45...

choose carefully, they can vary a bit (<--------slight understatement!)

Your question and mention about wording on the website is really interesting. For people familiar with the brand, it is probably assumed that the guitars are all solid wood, but to someone new to Gibson it really does make sense for them to post this fact on each spec sheet.

To my knowledge, Gibson has never made a model with laminates - does anyone here know of a plywood Gibson?

Gibson has made many laminated guitars over the years. I can't quote chapter and verse and I don't see any pattern, and it's not just an "Evil Norlin" thing. I believe the J160E was all laminated in the 60s, no idea how the newer ones are made. Some from the 50s and 60s had the odd combo of laminated sides and solid backs. The best way is to go case by case and compare the inside grain to the outside grain. I'm sure the Gospel with it's arched back is laminated as well.

Archived