Gibson Brands Forums

Epi. EB-O Bass..........

OhioSlashFan

Have you checked it out ?

Reason for asking kids like all kids start but then don`t want to

play after all ..But yes that will make a good bass and you for that matter..

Now the amp ? well many to pick from .i would go look at the local pawn shops to find a used one

But this is my two cents on the take,got many out of the pawn shops

I use peavey for bass nice clean sound too .

Worst i think i got one and had to replace the speaker Black widdow.

68.00 for the basket.got the amp for less then a 100.00

I'd go for an EB3 if the price isn't too much for you. Same bass but with the rear pickup. Just gives the kid a few more sounds (and tops) to be able to grow into. Just be aware of the fact that you can buy em with different length necks 30.5" ( Short scale) and 34" (Long scale). Nothin wrong with learning on a shorty but when/if he decides to play normal (Long) scale basses in the future some students find themselves out of their comfort zone and shy away. Personally I enjoy playing both. Makes you think differently which makes you play differently. A good thing all round to get variety into your playing.

But yeah... pretty much what Rockin_Dude said regarding an amp.

Yes, we both checked it out, it's smaller than a normal bass so i thought it would be a good starter. i actually picked up a peavey Max 110 amp at a music store that is going out of business for $100 brand new which was 50 less than guitar center. I will check out the EB3 also if it will give him more room to grow.

It's been my experience that pawn shops are awful places to find good deals on guitars/music equipment anymore... You used to be able to find some gems, but nowadays, most of what you find is junk at near retail prices.. Sure, you can haggle, but most of the time, it's not even worth it..

It's been my experience that pawn shops are awful places to find good deals on guitars/music equipment anymore... You used to be able to find some gems' date=' but nowadays, most of what you find is junk at near retail prices.. Sure, you can haggle, but most of the time, it's not even worth it..

[/quote']

Its the same here in Oz Lerxst. Even the lesser known brands made in the old Korean Samick factory and Fuji Gen Japan seem to be over priced even though the Pawn brokers obviously have no idea which instrument is a quality one and which isnt.

eBay has really taken the bite out of the whole pawn shop thing.. Here in the US, you never see a guitar worth more than $99 in a pawn shop.. Pawn brokers are misery merchants.. They take advantage of other people's desperation by offering next to nothing for whatever you bring in to sell.. The only reason someone would sell a guitar to a pawn shop is if it's too cheap to bother going through the eBay routine and paying the fees..

If i head into the city ,some of the pawn shops are a chain,so i might stop in and look..

i go to small towns and look in the resale shops too, Every now and then out to the flea markets

Not a top guitar but grabbed a morma Made in japan from the sixty nice short scale 335 style for 30.00

Even stays in tune after i set it up.needed a new inut jack,came with a hard shell case too..

An yes let us know what you picked up ..

When I lived in Arizona, they had a chain of Pawnshops called "Super Pawn"... Some of those stores were pretty big... I believe they have them in Indiana as well.. (I also lived in Indy for a couple of years.) They have a larger selection of guitars at the chain-stores, but you still hardly ever see anything really great there... and they tend to be less flexible when it comes to haggling..

I pawned a few items at Super Pawn during a lean year... Lost a couple of items too.. I don't think I ever bought anything from them, though... Could never get them to budge enough on their prices..

Archived