Gibson Brands Forums

swapped out pick guard on my SJ

jannusguy

That's a beautiful guitar. I had one of these a few years ago & was forced to sell because of events beyond my control.

I still get emails from the guy who bought it telling me how much he loves it. I'm glad this guy won the bid (ebay) he really has given it a good home.

Hence my AJ short scale, I bought this one to replace the SJ. I have to say I'm very happy with this one too.

So speaking from experience, you've got one "GREAT" guitar.

I like that' date=' where did you get it ?[/quote']

www.guitargal.com

little guitar shop in TN. that i found on line. they've got a lot of nice stuff. good prices and service. BTW, i assume you're referring to the pick guard. the guitar came from fullers in houston.

absolutely gorgeous.

do the bone pins add shimmer? i think i might need to counter the overwhelming bass end on my SWD.

i feel it's a little brighter but, i replaced everything at the same time, nut, saddle, pins, so i couldn't pinpoint which of the changes contributed the most to the change in sound. there are widely varying opinions on the impact of changing pins.

I just replaced the PG on my 04 Blues KIng with a PG also from guitargal.com

It looks great.

To remove the old one I used Naphtha. It is a chemical solvent that WILL NOT harm the laquer finish.

I placed the guitar on edge, soundhole up and put the chemical on with an eye dropper and Q-tips. The solvent takes a bit of time to work. I had it off in about 15-20 minutes.

In the past I have used a hairdryer. It works faster but the heat softens the PG up and it stretches it as you pull it off. Using the chemical keeps the original PG reusable if that matters.

To put the new guard on, I placed it where I wanted it, taped it down and put three pieces of masking tape on the guitar body and PG. I put reference marks on all three pairs of tape.

When I was ready to put it on, I laid three pices of guitar string down, placed the PG on the strings; when I had it exactly in place I pressed down in the middle and pulled out the strings, perfect fit.

Nice job. Was it difficult to remove the old one? I was contemplating puttting the larger version of the J-45 PG on my J-45RW in liue of the teardrop. Any difficulties or advice?

Same question.

Looks like I'm gonna have to replace the one on my Hummingbird. (got a bad one from the factory)

Nice job. Was it difficult to remove the old one? I was contemplating puttting the larger version of the J-45 PG on my J-45RW in liue of the teardrop. Any difficulties or advice?

i had my set up guy do it. he told me he injected vasoline underneath the PG using a syringe. (that must have been tricky) anyway, the vasoline dissolves the adhesive and the old guard comes right off.

sounds like eds11 has got it down if you're gonna attempt it yourself.

Archived