Gibson Brands Forums

SJ-200 in the fold!

TWilson

I'm happy to announce the arrival of an SJ-200 into the TWilson attic! It's a 2007 Modern Classic vs and is quite beautiful. At the risk of sounding like a new father, I'll try to describe it briefly and honestly. This was supposedly bought for a collection and used as a display. It stated that it probably was never played. I was skeptical but the photos looked great, the price was nice, and I NEEDED one!! So I pulled the trigger and boy, am I glad I did. Here's the scoop, and I swear to God, I'm not exaggerating. If someone told me they just bought me a new SJ-200 from the Bozeman plant, that it was polished, put in it's spanking new case and shipped to my door in it's Gibson Pure box, I would have no reason to doubt that this guitar fit that bill! I was absoultely astonished. I visually went over this thing with a fine toothed comb, turning it this way and that in the light. Couldn't find a flaw. There was absoulutely no indication that this guitar was ever played by anyone. I'm still shocked as I look at her on the couch next to me after a photo session, that it's mine. I'm now about to attempt some photos. I'm not sure how accurately they portray it's looks. It has a dark 'burst, almost a tobbacco 'burst, which I really like. Anyhow, I'm one happy camper. And, for Karen, "Paradise" by john Prine was the first song. It also was responsible for the first pick marks as I got a little aggressive with the ol' strum!! It's gotta happen sometime, eh? Here goes. Oh, the case looks like it was made about an hour ago too!!

Pic1146.jpg

WOOHOO! CONGRATULATIONS!! Wow, you must be one happy guy right now! It's absolutely beautiful. The burst on it is stunning. =P~ I love Paradise.... it was maybe the 4th or 5th song I ever learned and it's a classic. Well, I guess we know what you'll be doing all night :D/ (I'm playing guitar all night tonight as it's just pouring here) Have fun!

How does it smell? Did you sniff inside the soundhole yet? I even like the glue they use inside the case. Oops, I guess I better be careful with that statement.... someone will take it the wrong way LOL

Disclaimer: Gilliangirl does not sniff glue.

Pic1148.jpgPic1147.jpgThanks Jannus and Karen. Yes, I did smell the soundhole! Too funny. It has that intoxicating woody smell. I also forgot to mention that the action is so nice that I have no plans to mess with it in the near future. It plays much like my J-45 after I had it set up. I'm going to try to post a couple more photos since I'm still so jazzed over this beauty.

>[img]

<Drool> Beautiful. <More Drool> Very Beautiful. <Gobs of Drool> Did I say she's beautiful?

Congratulations on that. That burst is awesome. I've so been thinking about trying to get one of those. Every time I see one or play one, it's love all over again.

TW, welcome to the wonderful world of the Super Jumbo! You'll never want to part with it. Mine has been halfway around the world with me in the last 5 years and now has PLENTY of the pick mark you mentioned, but I couldn't imagine life without it. It's the guitar I've played and loved the most over the last 15yrs of playing by a long way.

Enjoy!!

TW, Congrats friend ! If your experience is anything like mine - I started out in awe but after having mine for 2 years now, I've grown into it. I was intimidated by it's beauty and theirl reputation (ex. King of the Flatops), but now I've completely bonded and I'm almost addicted to playing it. (No, GG, playing NOT smelling!). I realized I didn't need my LG1, bought new in '65, so gave it to my son. I was hesitant that I wouldn't be able to adjust after playing a small body all my life. But, like your experience transitioning from your J45, it was easy. G'luck. Jim

Thanks to you all for your kind comments and congratulations. And, Jinder, you are somewhat responsible for putting me over the edge towards the SJ-200 with a very nice description of your own SJ-200 and what it means to you that you wrote in a different thread. So, to you and Emmylou Harris, THANKS!!! Someday I'll get an AJ in my crosshairs then I'll have my holy trinity. Rosewood, Hog, and Maple. For right now, however, I'm quite satisfied to say the least. Now if I could just get the nerve to go play "Making Believe" in Emmylou's front yard...................lol. I'm sure that restraining order can't last forever!! Thanks again, Gibsonites!!!

Cunkhead' date=' I got this one for $2,349. The return address on the UPS label said "First Quality Music" Lexington, Ky. It was dead mint and sounds great! What's not to like about that? [/size']

Ah, Lexington, my old home town while in college and such. Lived there for 10 years (1970-1980). What a great music scene back then. When I first started college in 1970, we used to go to Shakey's Pizza Parlor to see Ricky Skaggs. He was the "house band" !! And then in graduate school I lived on a farm on the outskirts of town. I could walk across the fields to the Holiday Inn and hang out in their little lounge. The house band there was J.D. Crowe and The New South. Lordy, J.D. knows a thing or two about playing the banjo. And the guitar player for the band was Tony Rice. Oh, and that Skaggs guy was in the band. And Jerry Douglas. Hell, I was there one night and Stephen Stills showed up after his concent in town and sat in with them. Them was the days.

Congrats. A wonderful looking instrument and I bet it sounds even better. You chaps in the US are rather fortunate in many ways. The retail price in the UK is the same as you might pay in US in $ i.e. a new SJ 200 in VS is about £2,300. Since sterling is as relatively weak as US$ in Europe, with an exchange rate of about 2:1, this equates to US$4,600. Call it twice the price for the short hop over the Atlantic. With crude at about $135/barrel the UK price will only go one way..........UP!!

.... and don't get me on petrol - $2.50 a litre!

The sensible way forward is to take a trip to Bozeman, pick up a bargain and still have change for a fish and chip supper and a pint of London Pride when I get back!

Hope you have years of pleasure with it.

Yours a very envious albertjohn.

Ah' date=' Lexington, my old home town while in college and such. Lived there for 10 years (1970-1980). What a great music scene back then. When I first started college in 1970, we used to go to Shakey's Pizza Parlor to see Ricky Skaggs. He was the "house band" !! And then in graduate school I lived on a farm on the outskirts of town. I could walk across the fields to the Holiday Inn and hang out in their little lounge. The house band there was J.D. Crowe and The New South. Lordy, J.D. knows a thing or two about playing the banjo. And the guitar player for the band was Tony Rice. Oh, and that Skaggs guy was in the band. And Jerry Douglas. Hell, I was there one night and Stephen Stills showed up after his concent in town and sat in with them. Them was the days.

[/quote']

Wow, I'm not sure I could have ever left that place. At least I'm still stuck in the 70's!!!

Wow' date=' I'm not sure I could have ever left that place. At least I'm still stuck in the 70's!!! [/color']

It wasn't easy leaving, but to pursue my profession I pretty much had to. I guess the good thing, from a music standpoint, is that I lived in the L.A. area for four years and then moved to the Denver/Boulder area. L.A. and this area of Colorado are pretty good music areas.

Nice one matey!"

All those Sunday drives yielded soemthing then?

Great burst, getting to prefer that to the natural now.

Albertjohn is 100% right in that our only option in UK to come over and collect and that is my plan for my 300.

Really pleased for you Terry I know you were lusting after a curvy lady, now you have one you just have to grow the wrists to play her.

All the best

John

Archived