• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

How to distress your guitar?

#41 User is offline   johntrem 

• Advanced Member
  • Group: Members
  • LocationCuyahoga Falls, OH. USA

Posted 14 November 2008 - 09:55 AM

Although I understand the asthetic appeal of a broken in, well worn, heavily played guitar, I guard my guitars like newborns. If any scratch or accidental ding occurs I'm berieved. Last December I accidentally bumped my 12 year old SG against a metal stool when picking it up resulting in a minor ding in the finish. I was sick for a week. Until then it had been pristine. I saw what had happened to it, immediately put it in it's case and couldn't look at it for a week. This past summer I was sitting in the family room talking to my wife with my sunburst strat in my lap. I picked up a glass of wine I was drinking and the clay coaster the glass was sitting on stuck to the bottom of the wine glass only to drop when it was over the guitar resulting in a small ding below the bridge. After that, I needed more wine. So, although I understand the relicing phenomenon, I have no desire to participate.

#42 User is offline   Parabar 

• Advanced Member
  • LocationNorthern California

Posted 14 November 2008 - 12:21 PM

Here's my suggestions for quick and easy relicing:

1) Go down to your local laundromat with a roll of quarters and toss your guitar into one of those jumbo capacity dryers. Put it through as many cycles as it takes to achieve your desired effect.

2) Bounce it down a flight of stairs.

3) Take it to your local biker bar (without a case) and announce in a loud voice that anyone who rides a motorcycle has intimate relations with barnyard animals, then offer to perform a medley of John Tesh and Enya favorites. The gents at the bar will happily relic your guitar for you, at no charge --- and they'll even relic your clothes and teeth to match! :-s

#43 User is offline   mrjones200x 

• Advanced Member

Posted 14 November 2008 - 10:26 PM

Hey, Mr.Jones:
What do you think of your Aria AGP-001N? I have one coming, sound unheard.

Doug Jones

Yeah was a really nice guitar. Easy to play with good classic strat type sounds. nice action after me setting up and also good finish and feel. Frets were good too. Good for the price.

Ive sold it now as i bought it as a project which i never got time for. Was gonna be an evh 5150 project.

#44 User is offline   layboomo 

• Advanced Member

Posted 15 November 2008 - 01:27 AM

[quote name='johntrem]Although I understand the asthetic appeal of a broken in' date=' well worn, heavily played guitar, I guard my guitars like newborns. If any scratch or accidental ding occurs I'm berieved. Last December I accidentally bumped my 12 year old SG against a metal stool when picking it up resulting in a minor ding in the finish. I was sick for a week. Until then it had been pristine. I saw what had happened to it, immediately put it in it's case and couldn't look at it for a week. This past summer I was sitting in the family room talking to my wife with my sunburst strat in my lap. I picked up a glass of wine I was drinking and the clay coaster the glass was sitting on stuck to the bottom of the wine glass only to drop when it was over the guitar resulting in a small ding below the bridge. After that, I needed more wine. So, although I understand the relicing phenomenon, I have no desire to participate.[/quote']

While I agree that the only relic wear worth a damn comes from Actually Playing The Guitar....ie.. sweat,beer.blood,tears etc.. etc.. Guitars are meant to be played a ding here and there adds character. Life is way too short to be that anal about anything IMHO.

#45 User is offline   taxman 

• Advanced Member

Posted 15 November 2008 - 06:19 AM

I guard my guitars like newborns. If any scratch or accidental ding occurs I'm berieved..

Unfortunately, I suffer from this affliction, too. It is not a good thing to have. I wish I could get over it, but I can't.
My guitars must shine like the sun, and look and play exactly as they did when I bought them brand new.

#46 User is offline   charlie brown 

• Advanced Member

Posted 15 November 2008 - 07:41 AM

How to Distress your guitar?....Tell it, owes the IRS a LOT of money!

CB

#47 User is offline   duane v 

• Advanced HACK!!!
  • Group: Moderators
  • LocationsOcAL

Posted 15 November 2008 - 08:02 AM

Unfortunately, I suffer from this affliction, too. It is not a good thing to have. I wish I could get over it, but I can't.
My guitars must shine like the sun, and look and play exactly as they did when I bought them brand new.

;) ........ How can one focus on playing the darn things if worried about a acquiring few battle scars.... they give the guitar character

Nothing can stay new, so just play it:d/

Deer Pr00dunce

Posted Image

#48 User is offline   davidg3333 

• Advanced Member

Posted 15 November 2008 - 09:22 AM

How to Distress your guitar?....Tell it, owes the IRS a LOT of money!

CB

Tell it you won't play it any longer. I can't imagine anything more distressing than that!

BTW, distressed guitars don't appeal to me much. Nowadays it is all the fad and an axe that looks like it has been beaten to crap commands top dollar. The replicas that have every minute scratch and burn of Johnny "Hairy Ape" Gizmo's guitar I find to be quite amusing. I must be aging. :-k

#49 User is offline   taxman 

• Advanced Member

Posted 15 November 2008 - 10:09 AM

:-k ........ How can one focus on playing the darn things if worried about a acquiring few battle scars....

It ain't easy.
When jamming with friends, I play in my own little corner away from others. They think it's rock star attitude.

Hey, I restore old Mustangs that I drive. The care and perfection I seek for my guitars definitely stems from that.

#50 User is offline   johntrem 

• Advanced Member
  • LocationCuyahoga Falls, OH. USA

Posted 20 November 2008 - 04:46 AM

Yes Gentlemen, I fully realize that my "affliction" is beyond normal, probably bordering on OCD. I'm also constantly brushing off dust and polishing off fingerprints. I confess to a secret pleasure on one occasion when I took my 1971 Univox Badaz(always hated that name) in for repair of a faulty neck pickup and the repairman being astounded when he opened the case, "My God, this thing looks new!"
I must admit, I love this guy's work-

http://www.nashguitars.com/

Still, I don't want to beat up my guitars. The rest of you, knock yourselves out.

#51 User is offline   Stig 

• Advanced Member

Posted 20 November 2008 - 05:27 AM

You know, most of my guitars (14) are over 25 years old. Not one of them looks like a "relic" job.
You want a guitar to look like it's been to Hell and back? Then play a million gigs with it, toss it around and leave it in the trunk of the car all the time.
Of course, I wouldn't recommend it.
www.soundcloud.com/aspirinhammer

#52 User is offline   mrjones200x 

• Advanced Member

Posted 20 November 2008 - 07:49 AM

I could never purposly relic my LP. Its to nice to touch. got two small dings in the laquer but i know its mine lol!!!

Now my kramer looked old before i reliced (the frets were dull the board looked old the neck looked vintage and the body had nicks and dent!)

Posted Image
Finished result!

#53 User is offline   Stevie Nazarenie 

• General God's body and gopher wood.
  • LocationNorthamptonshire

Posted 20 November 2008 - 08:00 AM

"How to distress your guitar?"

boy just lend it to me for week...](*,)

#54 User is offline   charlie brown 

• Advanced Member