Gibson Brands Forums

How to distress your guitar?

mrjones200x

And if you really have that big of a hard on to "relic" it,

Knock the gloss of with 3M Scotch brite.

Red(coarsest)

green

Grey

then White(finest)

Then shoot it with a amber tinted FLAT Or Satin.

P.S.

POLYURETHANE SUCKS!

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

My, we've come a long way...from avoiding like the plague, "beat up POS" guitars, to paying mega bucks, for

the factory to do it, now...or taking a lot of time, effort, and with (questionable) results that can vary

widely! If you wanted a white guitar, why didn't you just buy one? The best way to relic one, is to'

play the thing, forever! Everyone seems to want the "look" but without putting in the effort! (Yeah,

I know, I'm editorializing, AGAIN!...LOL!) But, I (personally) like to KNOW where every ding, scratch

and burnish, came from. It's part of the "love" (or, sometimes, terror) if you will, of the experiences,

that went with my guitar, looking that way! To each his own, for sure! But...I don't get it, and (probably) never will! ;>)

CB

Cos the most i get to play a day is half hour. maybe 3-4 times a week. would take me 100's of years to get genuine wear. Want one as a display more than any thing. Have a new epi i wanna play always

I see...a "conversation piece," etc.?

Well, that's cool!

CB

When painting wood with primer do i need a smooth finish or leave it slightly rough?

Do i sand between coats?

Do i sand between prima and paint?

Do i sand between paint coats?

Dont know alot about painting as you can tell lol!

Have got a pearl colour i hope to fade a little in the end maybe with the tinted laquer

The whole point of priming is to generate a smooth surface for the colour coats, so, yes, you need to do some sanding of the primer to achieve this. Keep applying primer coats, then sanding, until you have a suitably smooth surface. If you were doing a transparent finish you would use sanding sealer as a primer.

Next apply your colour coats. Do not sand between coats.

Then you want to lay down a couple of coats of clear. You then sand down or 'level' the clear coats taking care not to sand through to the colour coats.

Apply two more clear coats (here is where you will want to use the tinted lacquer).

Wet sand and buff.

As my kramer only has a vol knob and humbuckler the wiring is easy' date=' would it be possible and easy to wire a push/pull pot with a quad rail humbuckler and use the volume knob to split the coil?[/quote']

Yes, as long as it has the four-conductor wiring or at least a coil tap wire.

My' date=' we've come a long way...from avoiding like the plague, "beat up POS" guitars, to paying mega bucks, for

the factory to do it, now...or taking a lot of time, effort, and with (questionable) results that can vary

widely! If you wanted a white guitar, why didn't you just buy one? The best way to relic one, is to'

play the thing, forever! Everyone seems to want the "look" but without putting in the effort! (Yeah,

I know, I'm editorializing, AGAIN!...LOL!) But, I (personally) like to KNOW where every ding, scratch

and burnish, came from. It's part of the "love" (or, sometimes, terror) if you will, of the experiences,

that went with my guitar, looking that way! To each his own, for sure! But...I don't get it, and (probably) never will! ;>)

CB

[/quote']

I kind of agree with Charlie Brown on this. It's like young kids wanting to have that ripped-up faded look on

their jeans and they're willing to pay $60-$80 or more to buy it like that brand new (???) without having worn

them out themselves. Go figure that. I guess if you have the money you can piss it away...Only in America, though.

I have a 25 year old Martin D-35 Acoustic guitar that has it's fair share of dings and gouges (some made by me

but many put in by people who don't know how to handle a guitar, especially because it's not theirs...yes, I learned

the hard way). I even had one time where a drunk at a party tripped over my guitar on it's stand and put some

major scratches on the finish because it was outdoors and we were playing in a pavillion with a concrete floor.#-o

Yeh, I wished it still looked pretty, but it's had a good, hard life of playing, just like it's owner, and shows it's wear

and tear with age.=D>

With regards to my newer Epiphone guitars (Sheraton II NA 2005 and Les Paul Standard Plain-Top VS 2007), my

cat, Gary, seems to like to scratch his nails into my Epiphone Guitar cases (well he does that to my other guitar

cases, too). And because I like to admire my two Epiphones (I know some of you lust your beauties, too), I've

noticed some incriminating little paw scratches from walking over them when displaying them in my cases. #-o

He's been yelled out a couple of times and now gets the message. Bad boy Gary!!!=D>

Any good website for wiring? Is it possible to use a push/pull as a volume and to split my humbuckler (Quad rail) which is splitable?

As i have no tone control and dont desire the need for it either i'll only need a volume and also a split control so a push pull would be good if possible. Might fit a kill switch too, now, i know the easy way of doing it is to put a n/o switch between the positive and ground. Is this the only way?

Really wanna learn more so good links to website would be great

Thanks so far

• 5 months later...

Although I understand the asthetic appeal of a broken in, well worn, heavily played guitar, I guard my guitars like newborns. If any scratch or accidental ding occurs I'm berieved. Last December I accidentally bumped my 12 year old SG against a metal stool when picking it up resulting in a minor ding in the finish. I was sick for a week. Until then it had been pristine. I saw what had happened to it, immediately put it in it's case and couldn't look at it for a week. This past summer I was sitting in the family room talking to my wife with my sunburst strat in my lap. I picked up a glass of wine I was drinking and the clay coaster the glass was sitting on stuck to the bottom of the wine glass only to drop when it was over the guitar resulting in a small ding below the bridge. After that, I needed more wine. So, although I understand the relicing phenomenon, I have no desire to participate.

Here's my suggestions for quick and easy relicing:

1) Go down to your local laundromat with a roll of quarters and toss your guitar into one of those jumbo capacity dryers. Put it through as many cycles as it takes to achieve your desired effect.

2) Bounce it down a flight of stairs.

3) Take it to your local biker bar (without a case) and announce in a loud voice that anyone who rides a motorcycle has intimate relations with barnyard animals, then offer to perform a medley of John Tesh and Enya favorites. The gents at the bar will happily relic your guitar for you, at no charge --- and they'll even relic your clothes and teeth to match! :-s

Hey' date=' Mr.Jones:

What do you think of your Aria AGP-001N? I have one coming, sound unheard.

Doug Jones[/quote']

Yeah was a really nice guitar. Easy to play with good classic strat type sounds. nice action after me setting up and also good finish and feel. Frets were good too. Good for the price.

Ive sold it now as i bought it as a project which i never got time for. Was gonna be an evh 5150 project.

Although I understand the asthetic appeal of a broken in' date=' well worn, heavily played guitar, I guard my guitars like newborns. If any scratch or accidental ding occurs I'm berieved. Last December I accidentally bumped my 12 year old SG against a metal stool when picking it up resulting in a minor ding in the finish. I was sick for a week. Until then it had been pristine. I saw what had happened to it, immediately put it in it's case and couldn't look at it for a week. This past summer I was sitting in the family room talking to my wife with my sunburst strat in my lap. I picked up a glass of wine I was drinking and the clay coaster the glass was sitting on stuck to the bottom of the wine glass only to drop when it was over the guitar resulting in a small ding below the bridge. After that, I needed more wine. So, although I understand the relicing phenomenon, I have no desire to participate.[/quote']

While I agree that the only relic wear worth a damn comes from Actually Playing The Guitar....ie.. sweat,beer.blood,tears etc.. etc.. Guitars are meant to be played a ding here and there adds character. Life is way too short to be that anal about anything IMHO.

I guard my guitars like newborns. If any scratch or accidental ding occurs I'm berieved..

Unfortunately, I suffer from this affliction, too. It is not a good thing to have. I wish I could get over it, but I can't.

My guitars must shine like the sun, and look and play exactly as they did when I bought them brand new.

Unfortunately' date=' I suffer from this affliction, too. It is not a good thing to have. I wish I could get over it, but I can't.

My guitars must shine like the sun, and look and play exactly as they did when I bought them brand new.[/quote']

;) ........ How can one focus on playing the darn things if worried about a acquiring few battle scars.... they give the guitar character

Nothing can stay new, so just play it:d/

How to Distress your guitar?....Tell it' date=' owes the IRS a LOT of money!

CB[/quote']

Tell it you won't play it any longer. I can't imagine anything more distressing than that!

BTW, distressed guitars don't appeal to me much. Nowadays it is all the fad and an axe that looks like it has been beaten to crap commands top dollar. The replicas that have every minute scratch and burn of Johnny "Hairy Ape" Gizmo's guitar I find to be quite amusing. I must be aging. :-k

:-k ........ How can one focus on playing the darn things if worried about a acquiring few battle scars....

It ain't easy.

When jamming with friends, I play in my own little corner away from others. They think it's rock star attitude.

Hey, I restore old Mustangs that I drive. The care and perfection I seek for my guitars definitely stems from that.

Yes Gentlemen, I fully realize that my "affliction" is beyond normal, probably bordering on OCD. I'm also constantly brushing off dust and polishing off fingerprints. I confess to a secret pleasure on one occasion when I took my 1971 Univox Badaz(always hated that name) in for repair of a faulty neck pickup and the repairman being astounded when he opened the case, "My God, this thing looks new!"

I must admit, I love this guy's work-

http://www.nashguitars.com/

Still, I don't want to beat up my guitars. The rest of you, knock yourselves out.

Archived