Gibson Brands Forums

How to distress your guitar?

mrjones200x

Hey, I have aquires a LP (Epi) and want to distress it in a vintage white/cream.

Im going to spray it next week but i need advice on distressing it please, any recomended techniques/tools, anybody done this before?

Already came with rusty screws and machine head ect looking old so will keep them

Thanks

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Start by checking out as many old Les Pauls as you can. You will note certain 'standard' wear patterns. For example, the finish usually wears away under your right arm where it rubs the body. Same with the back of the neck. Other than that, try hard to achieve a 'random' look; there's no bigger giveaway than evenly-spaced dings.

Just FYI that Strat body would be a perfect example of how NOT to relic a guitar. It looks completely fake and contrived, especially the 'traced' belly carve.

You want to use lacquer paint. It will respond well to relic techniques.

Here's a link to another forum where a guy did "fake checking" to the finish of his Epi LP ...... doesn't look too bad (well, looks interesting might be better words) considering the poly finish - he etched it with a razor blade.....looks a lot better than some hack job "agings" I've seen around....although he might've gone a lil overboard on the neck "wear" and "buckle rash" ...

http://www.mylespaul.com/forums/epiphone-les-pauls/5603-she-ain-t-pretty-but-i-love-her.html

Personally, I don't much care for artificial aging, but hey, that's only this foole's opinion :- Good luck !!! .... and post yer results !!!

Here's a link to another forum where a guy did "fake checking" to the finish of his Epi LP ...... doesn't look too bad (well' date=' looks interesting might be better words) considering the poly finish - he etched it with a razor blade.....looks a lot better than some hack job "agings" I've seen around....although he might've gone a lil overboard on the neck "wear" and "buckle rash" ...

http://www.mylespaul.com/forums/epiphone-les-pauls/5603-she-ain-t-pretty-but-i-love-her.html

Personally, I don't much care for artificial aging, but hey, that's only this foole's opinion :- Good luck !!! .... and post yer results !!![/quote']

I agree with you on the neck and back of the guitar--WAY overdone. But the 'weather checking' effect he did with a razor blade super-glued to a pencil (!) is subtle and pretty realistic looking.

Yeah it's a pretty comprehensive site, relicing is alot of fun!! I've done a few Strat type guitars, and the challenge is in making them look realistic without looking contrived. You will probably get alot of "why in the hell would you want to do that?" comments but like I said it's alot of fun to do and in my humble opinion if done with a little restraint you end up with a pretty cool looking guitar!!

"why the hell would you want to do that?"

Actually, I was gonna say why on God's green Earth would you want to do that? I dunno, some look ok, Some, like Rotcan said, look completely stupid, I personally want mine as pristine as I can possibly get a guitar I play almost daily.

Hey G&F I agree with you on a certain level...I have a classic like yours in the trans amber finish I preen and polish it after every session, same with my G400 and my Tele. I got my hands on a $35 squire that was already pretty beat up so I decided to try my hand at a relic job, just to see if I could. Like I said it was alot of fun, I usually try to make my projects as fine as I possibly can but it was kind of refreshing to just beat the hell out of one and try to make it look like it had done some serious time in a honky tonk LOL. I would never do a relic job on a guitar that I really cared about.

Play it.....

ALOT

I second that... But a poly finish is nearly indestructible... It'll never check or fade, and I doubt you'd ever wear through to the wood in a lifetime...

I don't get the artificial relicing thing, and I don't own a single guitar with a nitro finish, so I reckon my guitars will stay looking like new for a very long time...

Like new with dings and tarnished hardware, that is...

Have also got a kramer which is from the early 80's in bits as a project too. This thing really is a relic but a proper old crappy blue colour. All the hardwear is tarnished etc. Maybe i should paint that one first see how i get on.

Basically my LP is in lovely condition just rusty bolts etc looks a little tierd but not aged.

My kramer is from 80's has dents/scratches tarnished hardwear rusty bits ect but is a horibble colour.

Maybe i just do the kramer first as its the paint job i gotta do right. rest is ok. have all new elctrics (5 wires) lol.

It only has one pick up and one volume so easy as piss to do.

The lp i wanna get right so think'ill practice on the kramer now.

Any advice on how to discolour a new cream paint job once its sprayed?

Any advice on how to discolour a new cream paint job once its sprayed?

Easiest, although not quick by any means, would be to expose it to sunlight/UV rays for an extended period of time........ I've seen a antique white Epi LP that's considerably "yellowed" by exposure to light. I believe it was on the site I previously linked to with the "checked" Epi LP.

Archived