Gibson Brands Forums

Double Truss Rods?

RobinTheHood

After sucsessfully adjusting truss rods on my various guitars and basses, I decided it was time to adjust my Epi Expert-6. I took off the truss cover and lo-and-behold! two truss rods side by side. This is a little beyond my scope of truss rod adjustments, but I'm not opposed to learning.

Does anyone know how or have experience adjusting a double truss neck? This bass is over due for an adjustment. Also, this is a neck-thru bass, so if i crack the neck, I'm up a creek. Any advice would be most helpful.

Thanks.

Dual or double truss rods are most commonly found on 12 string or bass guitars for additional strength and rigidity. They are two individual truss rods laid side by side in the neck.

Adjust these as you would a six string guitar,small turns nothing major .So if you know how to make the adjustments

i`ll not post the step by step how to adjust your truss rod...

I did a little reading and found conflicting advice. Some say turn them exactly the same amounts - and others say to adjust them individually for either side of the neck. I suppose I could try turning them in unison...probably the safest way to go about it. I just dont want to end up with a twisted neck.

Dual action truss rods These rods can add relief as well as straighten a neck. When turned counter clock wise the rod bends forward creating forward bow (relief) to the neck. These rods have small hex nuts that are welded to the end of the rod and unlike a tradition rod, the nut can not be removed.

OK, so what your looking at ,you have plain truss rods in your neck,not to be confused with duel action rods..

Big differences on the two type rods..Both do the same thing ,just in different ways..

As far as i know your guitar as two truss rods,simple action ,not dual action truss rods..

So make the adjustments same as you did on your other guitar.

Yeah, two truss rods. Sorry, my thread title was misleading. Ok, I'm going to try adjusting them by the same amounts. I'm usually pretty lacksidasical when doing guitar truss adjustments, but I think this time I'll mark them at "zero" and hold my breath.

Thanks!

Archived