Gibson Brands Forums

What is my epiphone acoustic?

epiplayer66

Hi, I have an older Epi acoustic that has a unique headstock logo. In pearloid it reads Epiphone then under Epiphone it reads by Gibson. This is all in pearloid on the headstock. It does not say Gibson on the truss rod cover, that is plain. The model number os a pr350. It has snowflake fret markers. I'd like to know if anyone knows anything about this guitar and what year these were made?

Hi' date=' I have an older Epi acoustic that has a unique headstock logo. In pearloid it reads Epiphone then under [i']Epiphone[/i] it reads by Gibson. This is all in pearloid on the headstock. It does not say Gibson on the truss rod cover, that is plain. The model number os a pr350. It has snowflake fret markers. I'd like to know if anyone knows anything about this guitar and what year these were made?

Epiphone moved its acoustic production to Korea in 1983 and in about 1986 they also began electric production there with the Sheratons and Tele-Phones and Epi-casters and at about this point in time they started using the "Epiphone By Gibson" headstock logos on all of their Korean-made models and continued to do so for the next couple years so the guitars with the "Epiphone By Gibson" were made in Korea (by Samick) between 1986-1988. The "PR" or "Presentation" line of Epiphone acoustics actually began in Japan about 1979 but was moved to Korean with the other acoustic models in 1983. The reason the Korean-made models had the "Epiphone By Gibson" logo also was because there was still some electric guitar production still going on in Japan and the different logos differentiated the two countries of manufacture. For the most part there's little difference between the "Epiphone By Gibson" and the later plain "Epiphone" models.

and the serial number is 88031XX

6912_1.jpg

This is a 1988 PR-350(S-for solid top)...so now I'M really confused..

as far as I know there wasn't any Epiphone acoustic production by Matsumoku who was making the line of electrics in Japan at the time (1986/1987). Your serial number does in deed date it to March of 1988..but it's in the format used by the early Korean-made guitars not the one used by Japanese-made guitars from this time frame.....someone??? anyone have a clue to what's going on here? The Japanese-made Epiphones from this period didn't use the "Epiphone By Gibson logo..they used a cursive logo that was a kind of throw back to the pre-Gibson Epiphones...maybe someone else knows..I know if Tad Miura (Mr. Tad) was around he could straighten things out but he isn't...so. As far as I've known Epiphone moved their acoustic guitar production to Korea in 1983 and the "By Gibson" logos were used for Korean-made instruments starting about 1986 but...somewhere in the tangled synapses of my aging brain I do recall there being a Japanese-made Epiphone Everly Brothers J-180 reissue made about this time..but it had the aforementioned cursive headstock logo...I confess' date=' I do not have an answer ...

Does your guitar's interior label look like this?

[img']http://i278.photobucket.com/albums/kk108/MrGregzy/epi4-1.jpg[/img]

this is from a late 70's/ early 80's Japanese-made Epiphone that I thought didn't fit in with the "all acoustic production went to Korea in 1983" thinking. since it dates to July of 1984 according to the serial number format but those numbers can be iffy at best.

Ignore the headstock I previously posted- I had confused it with the other guitar and the previous label wasn't from the guitar I thought it was... I have hundreds of examples of serial numbers on their labels and I'm still looking for the one I intended to post...

I'll keep looking into it but I can't promise an answer.

• 9 months later...

I have a PR350s vs and the sticker on the inside does not say Japan or Korea. It was a gift from a family friend and I just dropped it off for a tune up so I don't have the serial number on hand any body know what the vs is all about?

Boy I am sure we were just here a while ago the PR-350' s had 9 different models fro 92-2004, so it going to be really hard to tell one from the other just by the label and from what I have seen the dating will not work with a lot of these except for the newer dated ones. The only one I could find with the snowflake inlay was the Model EA35 these were made between 92-2000 and when made they were MSR $369.00 ship

• 1 year later...

This is my Guitar and I love it...but...is a good guitar for the experts?

sdc11528r.th.jpg

sdc11530r.th.jpg

sdc11537fa.th.jpg

The Oval sticker inside said:

quality since 1910

Model PR 350

Epiphone

Serial 1120398

guitardater says:

PR 350 'Presentation'

Guitar Info

Your guitar was made in

Korea

December c.1991

Production Number: 0398

The guitar is wonderful, perfect sound, beautiful harmonics and keep the tune for a long time.

However, at first glance is hard to play (blisters on the fingers for the rookies) but the incredible sound it's the reward.

What dou you think about this guitar, I wannna have all information. (solid, laminated, mahogany, good, bad, cool, whatever)

After all, it was my first guitar and I'm really satisfied.

Thanks for all your comments.

This is my first post, I'm from Chile.

(can you reply me in spanish or english)

Regards from here

• 3 weeks later...

I have a Korean PR350S from Jan, 2002. Looks a little different from yours. Different headstock shape, and the body just looks different, somehow. It's a solid top, really nice tone, but not real loud. I broke the headstock off, almost two years ago, but still can't bear to part with it. Mine was easy on the fingers, after setting it up myself.

I can't say for sure about the move from Japan to Korea, but when they moved Epiphone production from Kalamazoo to Japan, the labeling and serial numbering got confused.

In fact, K'zoo labels, reading "Union Made" have shown up on some early Matsumoku made guitars from 1971. The apparent intention was to line out the "Union Made", then stamp the blue K'zoo labels "Made in Japan" next to it. At least one, I've seen, got out of the factory without the edit. This editing was done until pre-printed "Made in Japan" labels could be procured.

Something similar may have happened here.

Also, the Matsumoku serial numbering system was anything but serial. Not sure what it was, but determining a year of manufacture for Matsumoku made guitars is next to impossible.

Archived