Gibson Brands Forums

Need help/advice with my Heritage flattop

laocmo

Gibson acoustic lovers, I need your help/advice. Here is a possibly 30-year old Gibson Heritage Flattop in what appears to be showroom condition. I have very little history for this instrument except I was told the guitar was custom ordered from Gibson by the original owner with “special wood” that cost more than the standard. The owner passed away and It was stored and never really played. It was stored in a closet and the house was air conditioned. I’m guessing that accounts somewhat for its nice condition.

I’m not sure what “special wood” implies. It looks to be made of the same high quality spruce and rosewood, as my Martin D-28. My Internet research on this particular model Gibson yields very little, and conflicting information. Basically, it seems to have been introduced in the late 1960’s with laminated Brazilian Rosewood back and sides. Later, in the 1970’s it was built using laminated Indian Rosewood. The only evidence of a “special wood” that I can detect is that the grain pattern on the inside of the guitar is identical to that outside. To me this indicates it might be of solid wood construction rather than laminated. Perhaps this accounts for the custom order mentioned above.

An internet guitar dating search using its Gibson serial number tells me it was made in Nashville just a few years ago. I know this cannot be true. Perhaps Gibson recycled some numbers. Over the years the pick guard had curled up slightly and I had a new custom one cut out. Beveled, and installed. Otherwise the guitar appears to be in its new original condition.

This guitar has a great sound although it is not as loud as my Martin. I find it really nice for voice backup and casual back porch picking. But, it is no banjo killer. I don’t think it was ever meant to be a bluegrass cannon.

I’d like to sell it. But I don’t know how to describe it in an eBay or Craig’s list ad, as I have had little luck in learning its true age, specs, or history as described above.

Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks!

021978Heritage.jpg

This should be everything you need to post it for sale. Your idea that Gibson was making these guitars with laminated backs and sides is incorrect. The backs and sides on all Heritage Flat Top models are solid wood.

I think the value range given here for your 1970s model of $1100 to $1500 is generous. In my experience, this guitar would have to be in near mint condition to get the high end of that price range. The last two I brokered sold around $1000. Typically, these aren't the most highly desired guitars - except for the early models in Brazilian rosewood.

Gibson Heritage Flat Top Acoustic (1964-1982)

Gibson's mission in 1964 was to create a Gibson model guitar that was affordable and embraced by guitar players who followed folk ,country and bluegrass music . This model was the Gibson heritage .

It was introduced in 1965 ,the guitar was simple looking, it had square shoulders , spruce top ,brazilian rosewood body with tortoise binding ( back and top ) , tortoise pickguard , and came in natural finishes .

In 1968 gibson started making the same heritage guitars but with indian rosewood bodies and black pickguards .

During the 70s the heritage guitars had large block rectangular inlays , and large curly pointed bridges . Discontinued in 1982 .

Vintage guitar price value :

1964 - 1968 > $2200 to $2600 ( Brazilian rosewood )

1968 - 1982 > $1100 to $1500 ( Indian rosewood )

guitar price guide1964 - 1968 > Avg Upward Trend Of 22% a Year since 2000

1968 - 1982 > Avg Upward Trend Of 7% a Year since 2000

Archived