Gibson Brands Forums

SJ200 and the Bird

celticbhoy

After 34 years I finally got my SJ200 - what a guitar! During all those years I also had a desire for the Hummingbird but chose the SJ. I now find myself in a position to be able to buy a Hummingbird. (Gorgeous guitar!)

My question is : I play a broad spectrum of folk music - do I need the Bird? Would there be a noticeable difference in guitar tone to a listening audience? The SJ is coping very well my repertoire. Should I just buy the Bird cause i've got a once in a lifetime opportunity?

Love this forum and appreciate your feedback.

I own an SJ200 and a Bird. They are a great combo of guitars to own! They are very different instruments, and that alone justifies owning both. Vis-a-vis, Maple Vs. Mahogany, Jumbo Vs. Dreadnought, Long-Scale Vs. Short-Scale. Buy the Bird! But, if you get the chance to play a Dove, do that before you commit to the Bird. The Dove is kinda halfway between the Bird and the SJ200, IE it has long scale and Maple back'n'sides, but is a Dread, and shares similar visual characteristics with the Bird.

You can't really go wrong with either, though.

I don't have a 'bird, but I want to congratulate you on your SJ-200. I've had mine a week now and am starting to come out of shock. I love this thing. Great strummer and I've been quite pleased with how it plays/sounds when fingerpicked. My J-45 hog has been a little lonesome this past week but I still love that one too so It'll be back on my knee soon. I love the mahogany and the maple, different sounds but both get it done. Congrats to you!!

Particularly where you state that you play a wide variety of folk music, I would highly recommend a Hummingbird or a Hummingbird Artist as their clarity and smoothness provide a great foundation for vocals and vocal harmony.

After 34 years I finally got my SJ200 - what a guitar! During all those years I also had a desire for the Hummingbird but chose the SJ. I now find myself in a position to be able to buy a Hummingbird. (Gorgeous guitar!)

My question is : I play a broad spectrum of folk music - do I need the Bird? Would there be a noticeable difference in guitar tone to a listening audience? The SJ is coping very well my repertoire. Should I just buy the Bird cause i've got a once in a lifetime opportunity?

Love this forum and appreciate your feedback.

Quite possibly the world's most perfectest guit tar ---- bar none!

The Hummingbird.

Not as loud as jumbos, but to-o-o-o-ne to die for. Probably great for accompanying a solo voice. Martin ain't got nothin' on the 'Bird.

If I had the scratch, I'd be gettin' one myself.

Archived