Gibson Brands Forums

is MY Black Beauty a fake?

Dru_d20

Hi guys,

i'm next in the line with a couple of images about a second hand Les Paul Special II.

I am a beginner, i have documented it for about 2 weeks and i will eventually be able to test it before buying this second hand from someone. Also i will bring a connaisseur with me when testing it. Until then, please help me know if there are reasons to believe this is a fake.

12032010460.jpg

2431960214659061700700.jpg

2431960114659061700700.jpg

Thanks a bunch!

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well, I got my Epi Custom off a guy on Ebay, who told me it was brand new.

It was, it still had the saran wrap on the pickguard and those Epiphone protectors

on the pups. Mine had a "I" beginning at the sn and when I queried the sn on

guitardater project, it told me it was made by Saein in Korea....maybe it was and

maybe it wasn't..but I got over it..and modified it to my liking and now it's a half

decent player.

I guess my point is stop worrying about it once you got one and

get on with your life. They will NEVER be worth more than about half of what

you paid for them, so just play them!

I don't know if you are referring at my case or in general about Ebay shoppings. I can buy the above epiphone from a guy in the same town as me, and i will be able to test it and have a more experienced friend test it also. I was courious if the images contain any hints to concluding that it's a fake.

I have read about Epiphones Special II fakes. I agree, why fake a 150$ guitar, but this is a question for the chinese guys that do it.

Thanks again for the support, if i'll ever get an info to share, i will share it back with you.

The Special II is genuine. I've never seen a fake Special II. Because they're budget guitars, they don't get faked at all - not enough money in it.

Fake Epis are exclusively the mid to high end models - usually Les Paul Black Beautys or Les Paul Standard/Customs. All the Les Paul pictures so far in this thread are of fakes.

what year is that guitar?

it has its pros and cons,

im no expert so il jsut put these guesses out there.

why is the control cavity painted black inside?

the screw on the pickguard is HUGE, and to close to the edge.

the EE looks pretty weird, and if its a 2009 model according to other people on the forum it shouldnt be there at all, cus in 2009 they switched the serial no. format to no letters, although i have no idea when in 2009 that was.

anyways im just throwing those out there, like i said im no expert. (:

regards and good luck.

Caolán.

Hi Everyone' date='

I have been doing some study and feel that my Les Paul is a fake. I've sent an email to Gibson but don't know how long it will take to get a reply so I figured I'd see what you guys think. I must say if it is fake they have gone to lots of trouble.

I have had the guitar for nearly a year now and I've not been happy with it at all, so I've only really been playing my acoustic guitar as a result. I recently decided to take this guitar to a technician to get "properly" set up. However he said he had lots of trouble getting the action lower and that it would buzz out lots so the action is set high for now.

I said I had a feeling it was a fake, because it didn't sound good and it felt crap to play. If this is genuine then I must say I don't like Les Paul guitars at all and much prefer Fender's however I have a feeling it must be fake because nothing genuine could feel this bad.

[

I bought this guitar second hand, off a so called "collector" who said it was brand new. It still had stickers on it when I got it that said Epiphone and it even came with a handbook saying it was an Epiphone instrument. The pickups say Epiphone on the back also.

The body does not look like genuine Mahogany, rather it looks and feel like plywood. Also this instrument feels very very heavy to me.

So what's the verdict?

[/quote']

It's obviously a "genuwhine-fake" Epiphone. [-(

I have pretty much the same thing. But the body is not made of plywood but

a waxy-like mystery wood (white mahogany of some kind) and heavy 10lbs.

The p_ups are stamped Epiphone (in script) like some of those shown above, so unless

the counterfeiters are getting their p_ups from Epiphone and sticking those little

stickers on them, the p_ups appear to be "Epiphone".

The MOT is just that with dried out fingerboard. Over all the workmanship is not bad

and even the tags hanging off mine appeared to be "real".

I'm not impressed with the quality of the sound though and it had a "buzz" for a while

until I replaced an unshielded length of wire from the 3-way to the output jack! If

it was real, I cant believe that Saein (korea) would make them this way because you

would detect the buzzing as soon as you played it.

The other thing that I had to replace is the stupid plastic jack plate and jack that

disintegrated on me. I can't believe an Epiphone guitar would have plastic jack

plates..do any of the "real ones" out there... come with plastic jack plates?

C'mon there Epiphone..if that is the case..what's the cost difference ..1cent?

In conclusion Epiphone (A Gibson brand) has to carry a lot of blame for what is

happening out there and people being duped!

Archived