Gibson Brands Forums

Greetings All

Buffalosix

I used to frequent this forum way back when, but evidently not in some time, as I needed to re-register. Anyway, just wanted to introduce myself to the usual suspects here...

I've been a Gibson acoustic guy for some time (although not for as long as some of you old-timers....). Used to play Gibson electrics back in the mid 80's, when I was in college (when there was not much of a "vintage" market with the commensurate upcharges, rather, there was a "used" market, with the commensurate drop in price...!)... Of course, after college, I sold those guitars (70's SG with the black "mini-humbuckers," refin 70's ES-345, and various other ones.....) at the same cut rate that I bought them at.... oh, what they'd cost now.... But, at the time I sold them, I was just finishing college, had no real money to speak of, and came to the realization that I couldn't eat my guitars.

As the 80's ended, I found myself in the Army, and no longer playing. Picked up the guitar again around 2000, started taking it much more seriously - as I tell some folks, I'm not sure how well I play, but I play regularly and with enthusiasm. No longer being on a college student's budget, I've gotten some nice gear since then.... the pride of which is my Gibson acoustics. I've maintained my brand loyalty to Gibson in the acoustic area, not so much in the electric area. Have had some nice Gibson electrics including Custom Shop ones since I started playing again, all of which I've traded away. The acoustics, however, I really bond with.

Tried to trade away the J-100 XTRA once a couple of years ago, and in a fit of remorse, ended up crawling back to the shop I traded it in to a few weeks later. The shop owner, who I'd done a bit of business with in the past, sold it back to me at the same price I traded it to him for. A mighty sporting fellow. Turns out it had never left his office, he had been playing it and marveling at the full sound. I still have it and love it, though my J-45 Rosewood is the guitar I normally reach for when I'm sitting around and get the urge to pick.

Welcome back - I think the Hummingbird is the queen of this joint, but maybe that's because I got smacked about for dissin' the 'Bird!

I know how it feels to remember those old electrics - I had a gold top that was pretty special with the soap bar pickups - but I am an adult now, and I play an AJ every day.

Thanks for the greetings, all! Hummingbird is the queen of the joint? Who'da thunk? Not that I've got anything against the 'bird, but I'da figured the J-200 and the J-45 would be the landed gentry on this acoustic forum, kinda like the Strat and Tele of Gibson acoustics (to use a completely inappropriate comparison....)

Johnt - yeah, pretty much when it comes to electric, I'm all about the Gretsch... but as your signature states "Life's about Dawgs and jangly guitars." I suppose I'm two for two with you on that one (or I guess if you count my dogs and my Gretsches, I'm five for two). I always liked to work some jangle tunes in with my last band, and they'd generally humor me. "Gentlemen, lay in a course for jangle!"

Hi Buffalosix.

Combat vet Washburn........respect to you my friend.

I grew up in Newbury in the 70s close to a US air base called Greenham Common. In those days it was very open and a friend and I hooked up with a band and used to play at sunday BBqs and evening events. It also used to host the most fantastic airshow with B52s (how do they actually take off?), C130s(?). I remember seeing a Vulcan bomber climb vertically! I know it's not the Army but thought I would share some fond memories.

Then Ronnie and Mags Thatch decided it would be a great place to store Cruise Missiles so that was the end of our band - couldn't get near the place for MPs and peace women.

Thanks for the advice on the thorny 335 issue. Will update in due course.

Cheers for now.

Albertjohn: The Washburn Rover, an entirely unremarkable guitar except for its portability, standard scale, and cheapness, did a tour in Baghdad with me. Its black nylon case will forever be permeated with the dirt that inundates the air, and for that mattter, everything there.

Thanks for the memories of Greenham Common. I joined the Army towards the end of the Cold War, and President Reagan was at the top of the chain of command basic trainees had to memorize. We were being taught "Ivan... is a fanatic!" and shot at pop up silhoutettes with red stars on their helmets, called in the common slang, "Pop-Up Ivans." We prepared to face them down in nuclear combat in the Fulda Gap.... We were being taught how to lay at the bottom of a foxhole, with our feet up against the side of the hole, with our hands over our eyes to protect against the nuclear flash, and our thumbs in our ears to protect against the blast overpressures.... Seems like such silliness in retrospect. Would love to show those hyperbole-filled drill sergeants what a REAL fanatic is. Oh, well. Most of them are probably long retired by now. The drill sergeants, that is - not the fanatics. The fanatics are busy setting up IEDs, lobbing rockets indiscriminately and detonating themselves in cars at checkpoints.

But as for Greenham Common, I remain fascinated by Cold War culture during the time you refer to, both American and British. We live in strange times now, but it seems like a such a subtle undercurrent. Nothing like the days of good old-fashioned "Mutual Assured Destruction." The V-Bombers, the whole "Protect and Survive" thing... It seems like a long time ago, and in retrospect, it was quite surreal. Today's homeland defense culture - protecting against anthrax and dirty bombs, using the duct tape and saran wrap to make "safe rooms," well, it just seems so junior varsity....

But enough on that - good luck on the thorny 335 issue (what a great issue to have, I suppose!). May it be the thorniest thing you deal with for some time...!

Thanks for the greetings' date=' all! Hummingbird is the queen of the joint? Who'da thunk? Not that I've got anything against the 'bird, but I'da figured the J-200 and the J-45 would be the landed gentry on this acoustic forum, kinda like the Strat and Tele of Gibson acoustics (to use a completely inappropriate comparison....)

Johnt - yeah, pretty much when it comes to electric, I'm all about the Gretsch... but as your signature states "Life's about Dawgs and jangly guitars." I suppose I'm two for two with you on that one (or I guess if you count my dogs and my Gretsches, I'm five for two). I always liked to work some jangle tunes in with my last band, and they'd generally humor me. "Gentlemen, lay in a course for jangle!"[/quote']

Don't know about 'birds ruling the roost (sorry!) around here I think like all other Gibsons they have their followers. But I suppose the "jangle" takes you towards Gretsch as it takes me towards a 12 string Ricky.

Someday soon perhaps but first I have to settle this huge GAS attack around a J200/300

All the best

Archived