Gibson Brands Forums

Joe Pass Master Volume

shartom

Has any added a master volume control to their Joe Pass? The guitar has a couple of sweet spots that can be dialed in with the two volume controls. Unfortunately when you want to up the volume, there go settings.

I would think a 500k pot should work. The top is not that thick so that a regular pot should fit. My favourite music store has the matching knob. I don't see a problem with the wiring.

It could be mounted on the lower bout similar to the Gretsch's.

I don't think I've ever seen a master volume on either an Epiphone or Gibby.

Has any added a master volume control to their Joe Pass? The guitar has a couple of sweet spots that can be dialed in with the two volume controls. Unfortunately when you want to up the volume' date=' there go settings.

I would think a 500k pot should work. The top is not that thick so that a regular pot should fit. My favourite music store has the matching knob. I don't see a problem with the wiring.

It could be mounted on the lower bout similar to the Gretsch's.

I don't think I've ever seen a master volume on either an Epiphone or Gibby.

[/quote']

Yes, it should be possible. The top is about 3/16 inch thick and a short shaft will

just poke through enough to get the washer and nut on. As far as the wiring

goes, you would need to get a Gretsch wiring diagram.

( I was going to do that originally with my custom LP semi-acoustic and put it in

the florentine, but now I need that space for the t-bridge tone control. )

I think I will rig up a pot that can be plugged into the output jack to get the best value. As far as internal wiring goes, I'll run the lead that goes to the ouput jack to the pot and then wire the pot to the output jack. I've experimented using an Ernie Ball volume pedal, and this mod should duplicate the process inside of the guitar.

I had a Gretsch 6120 that had the master volume and it worked like a charm.

I think I will rig up a pot that can be plugged into the output jack to get the best value. As far as internal wiring goes' date=' I'll run the lead that goes to the ouput jack to the pot and then wire the pot to the output jack. I've experimented using an Ernie Ball volume pedal, and this mod should duplicate the process inside of the guitar.

I had a Gretsch 6120 that had the master volume and it worked like a charm.[/quote']

The official Gr*tsch web site has a few simple easy to follow wiring diagrams. On the 6122, the neck p_up

goes to the 3 way and the output of the 3 way goes to the Master vol (500k) and master tone (500k) with

a .022 uf cap and then to the jack.

On the 6120 they use a 500k volume on the neck which then goes to the 3 way and similarily with the

bridge. The o/p of the 3 way goes to a master 500K volume and the jack. The 6120 uses a Master tone

switch which appears to have more leafs than a 3 way to switch a .01 and a .039 cap, so I'm not sure

if the 500k tone pots would interfere with the master volume, but I can't see how. Certainly it would

give you independent controls on both p_ups that then are volume controlled to your preference on

the o/p.

Sez dubstar:

the alleykat, flamekat, wildkat, and zephyr blues deluxe all have a master volume...I think

The Zephyr Blues Deluxe has only three individual volume controls for each pickup and a master TONE.

As far as internal wiring goes' date=' I'll run the lead that goes to the ouput jack to the pot and then wire the pot to the output jack.[/quote']

That's exactly right. A 500K Linear pot will do the trick; 1 Meg will be overkill, but you could also try a 300K.

Thanks for all of your input and tips. I used my Joe Pass on two gigs today, This afternoon playing the blues and tonight playing country rock. I actually got a request to play Buckeroo...on a Joe Pass. I have it set up nicely and am using Gibson 10-46 strings, through a Blues Deluxe.

Im going to tackle the mod tomorrow. I have to play all weekend. It sounds great at this point. The master volume will be a great addition.

Finally got into the project. I used an inspection mirror to check out the wiring. The wires from the output jack are part of a multi conductor cable. I pulled the neck pickup. They barely left enough slack to get the pickup out. I could see the jack lead at the switch. My options are few. I can disconnect the lead at the switxh, splice in a piece of shielded cable and run it to the new pot. As of this writing, no holes have been drilled. I could then wire the other side of the the pot to the switch, again using shielded cable. The jack lead to the switch is pretty thin. I am not a big fan of splices, but there doesn,t seem to be an alternative. While the guitar was apart, I got a call for a gig. Put it back together.

I'm going think about this for a while. I wouldn't even attempt to rewire my Sheraton and I ran my own shop for 10 years.

Archived