Gibson Brands Forums

J45 vs J185

Rambler

Many comparsions lately-- how about this one? J45 & J185: 24.75 scales, hog vs mape, slope dread vs small jumbo. Know the 45 series well and like em. Ive played 2-3 185s (90s issues, I think). I found them incredibly comfortable to play but kind of a papery tone--but that was before I got heavily into Piedmont picking. Wondering now if I missed out on something. Fyi I mainly play country blues, plus the odd Doc Watson or Buddy Holly number. My old J50 works pretty good for all of this, but I would'nt mind finding something a little cleaner/drier/punchier for rags and such. I suspect the 185 would do well for the blues, ok for Holly, and maybe not ok for Doc. Would especially appreciate hearing from folks who've owned both.

quote: but I would'nt mind finding something a little cleaner/drier/punchier for rags and such

I think you are describing an adi topped slope, like an OJ or like my adi topped AJ!

my J185TV is not as dry as my WM45, or as punchy......it can be clean though with the right attack!

I like my J-185 for Piedmont style things. I think it's as good as my J-45 was----and when I really dig into it, its maybe a bit better. Its' not quite as complex, nuanced or breathy as my J-45 was, but its dry, woody and hollow sounding. When I'm really zoned in on my playing, it can sound a bit like a archtop. I like that.

I think its great for Doc Watson stlye fingerpicking----but I don't flatpick, so I can't tell about that.

"I think you are describing an adi topped slope" Thanks, Doc- Ive been wondering about that. I havent been able to get my hands on one of these, but I did get to AB a sitka D18v and adi D18ge. The 18v didnt do much for me (nice, but a little too "even" tonewise; no growl). But the GE did --it was punchy & robust. A while back I AB'd 2 recent Bozeman j45s. Kind of felt about them the way I did about the 18v (nice, but), and that's considering Iwas in a market to buy at the time. Wonder if that was random or typical?

Archived