Gibson Brands Forums

Help and advice needed on pots and caps!

slotter

hi everyone.

i was wondering if any one in the know could help me out.

I wanna swap the stock pups in my dot studio for some GFS Mean 90s.

Ive read bits and bobs here and there about people changing pots and caps when going from HB's to single coils... I'm not up on electronics and was wondering what its all about.

Can i just swap out the pickups and itll be cool.. or should i get new pots and caps too?

If so.. what should I get in terms of impedance and also makes... are the GFS pots and caps good replacements?

The volume pot in my dot studio is faulty so im gonna have to change that anyways.

basically any advice regarding the above would be extremely appreciated.

Thanks in advance

Dave :)

Again...subjective. Some will say switch out everything, while some would say just pickups. Me personally, I swapped mine for Gibbo T-Tops, and the only other thing I did was put in different caps (orange drops). And the difference TO ME is like night and day. Your results may vary. Try just the pickups, if it aint up to snuff, swap out the pots. Do what YOU feel you should do. Opinions are like a$$holes, everyones got one. Experimentation is a beautiful thing, especially if it pans out like you want it to.

Opinions are like a$$holes, everyones got one....

hahahaha... nice!

thanks Matiac.. so theres no straight up answer mathemaically speaking? ok.. ill start with just the pups. although ive gota change a pot anyway... what i dont understand is the difference between 250k and 500k pots... maybe ill get 250's cus that seems to be whats everybody uses with single coils. see how it goes.

thanks again.

:)

Well Slotter, the thing is, there IS an answer, that only YOU can find. People can offer opinions, but what you do is what you do. I don't know the first thing about pickup physics, I know what I like, and go from there. You sound like your set on the mean 90's...go for it. Save the stockers in case it's not what your looking for.

Well...here's another a$$holes opinion...while your in there you might as well get it all done at once. You can get the whole kit from GFS for $22.95....jack,pot's,caps and switch. The GFS caps are cheapies though....I'd go with orange drops or something a bit better than the cheapies....just my $02.

Well...here's another a$$holes opinion...while your in there you might as well get it all done at once. You can get the whole kit from GFS for $22.95....jack' date='pot's,caps and switch. The GFS caps are cheapies though....I'd go with orange drops or something a bit better than the cheapies....just my $02.[/quote']

hey layboomo.. maybe ur right. but main problem tho is.. what measurements to get for all these things.. ive heard people talk about changin 500k pots for 250k when swappin HB's for single coils... is this necesary? seein as i have to change the pots.. what can you or anyone else9 reccomend? ive spent far too much trime playin the thing and i dont know 1 bit about how it works!!

I changed my guitar's pickup to a Mean 90 (bridge) and i kept the old pots (500k) and wiring. the only thing i changed is the pickup (obivously) and the tone cap to Sprague Orange Drop Tone Caps.022uf for Les Paul...

The sound i got was very humbucker-ish... it's badass for crunch, but i find it too bright for cleans...

I changed my guitar's pickup to a Mean 90 (bridge) and i kept the old pots (500k) and wiring. the only thing i changed is the pickup (obivously) and the tone cap to Sprague Orange Drop Tone Caps.022uf for Les Paul...

The sound i got was very humbucker-ish... it's badass for crunch' date=' but i find it too bright for cleans...

[/quote']

cbright is good for me.. i'm a big grant green fan. this guitar is just a cheap traveler for when i go to the states... dont wanna take the gibson... so bright is nice for me. thanks for the help :)

Yup I have a pair of mean 90's in my Joe Pass and I used 500K pots and .022uf orange drops........sounds great to me. 250K pots are more commonly used with strats and tele's with single coils and .047uf caps., although Gibson has used 300K pots in many of their humbucker equiped guitars in the recent past. You might also try a .015uf value cap if you want a bit less brightness....it's a subtle difference,but I like that value on neck pickups. Best of luck!

Yup I have a pair of mean 90's in my Joe Pass and I used 500K pots and .022uf orange drops........sounds great to me. 250K pots are more commonly used with strats and tele's with single coils and .047uf caps.' date=' although Gibson has used 300K pots in many of their humbucker equiped guitars in the recent past. You might also try a .015uf value cap if you want a bit less brightness....it's a subtle difference,but I like that value on neck pickups. Best of luck![/quote']

hey thanks man.. thats the conclusion i came too after some more hevay forum reading today. I used to have the epi joe pass.. was a cool guitar.

so, Im goin for 2 mean 90's, 500K tone and volume pots, the .022 orange drops and new switch and jack as the one on the epi seem a bit flimsy! this should do it.

1 more question... anyone know where to get a ready grooved bone nut from? thatll fit the dot studio... i may aswell go the whole hog and get her singin!

thanks for all ur help everyone. great guys :)

Archived