Gibson Brands Forums

Burstbuckers wax potted or not

MurrayPW

• 2 years later...

burstbuckers directly from CS are potted.

burstbuckers sold separately from gibson usa are unpotted.

this is what i heard from many official infos before.

j.... [cool]

You are correct...

Just called Gibson & they verified it.

• 3 months later...

your 2008 standard should have potted burstbucker pros

Would it be worth it to copper foil my cavity to reduce the noise? I love the tone of these pups I just hate always trying to control the squeal. As a side note I only have my gain on my 50 watt JCM 2000 around 6 and it squeals with the volume as low as 4.

Thanks

• 1 month later...

Would it be worth it to copper foil my cavity to reduce the noise? I love the tone of these pups I just hate always trying to control the squeal. As a side note I only have my gain on my 50 watt JCM 2000 around 6 and it squeals with the volume as low as 4.

Thanks

Even with potted coils the covers can cause squeal at high volumes. If you touch the cover of the pickup as it squeals, and the squeal stops, it's the cover. Wax inside between the coils and the cover can dampen this vibration and stop the squeal.

• 1 month later...

I know this thread is dated but just last week I installed an after market BB2 in my 08 58 VOS plain top just see if I could hear a difference between the stock wax potted BB2 and the aftermarket un-potted BB2.

The difference was like night and day and it could not be just from the wax potting vs non-wax potting. The aftermarket PU sounded boomy in the low end, loud in the mids and tame in the highs. It was a very generic tone ( for lack of a better term ) not a very balanced sounding PU at all.

The stock BB2 on the other hand just sounded MUCH MORE like a PAF... very musical and balanced across all strings with blooming harmonics. It has that open, woody tone with crisp highs and solid lows... not mushy at all.

Gibson says that they did nothing different to these stock BB2's, other than wax pot them, but there is something else here that is different from the aftermarket BB pu's, whether it was intentional or not. I'm just curious as to what it is.

I know this thread is dated but just last week I installed an after market BB2 in my 08 58 VOS plain top just see if I could hear a difference between the stock wax potted BB2 and the aftermarket un-potted BB2.

The difference was like night and day and it could not be just from the wax potting vs non-wax potting. The aftermarket PU sounded boomy in the low end, loud in the mids and tame in the highs. It was a very generic tone ( for lack of a better term ) not a very balanced sounding PU at all.

The stock BB2 on the other hand just sounded MUCH MORE like a PAF... very musical and balanced across all strings with blooming harmonics. It has that open, woody tone with crisp highs and solid lows... not mushy at all.

Gibson says that they did nothing different to these stock BB2's, other than wax pot them, but there is something else here that is different from the aftermarket BB pu's, whether it was intentional or not. I'm just curious as to what it is.

Are all the factors identical, like impedance of both BB2's. height set exactly the same in the rings and the same strings? I have replaced BB's in plenty of LP's and just tweaking the height a fraction can make a BB muddy or open it up. Impedance difference will probably not be exactly the same, but should be close enough for your test.

Archived