Gibson Brands Forums

Info on epiphone 12 strings

string cannon

I have 2 1980"s era 12 strings. The first is a really nice, Model NV-12. from little info that I have gathered, It seems that Gibson came out with a high Quality Nouveau line in the mid 80's. I have seen one like mine, only difference was, mine has Epiphone inlaid in abalone, on the top of the head stock, instead of, Nouveau. They both have a 7 line diamond inlay in abalone, with Gibson in the longest, center line, in the middle of the headstock, or peghead. It has the orange with black oval label in the soundhole that reads: MODEL NV-12 NUMBER 7830563 is Hereby Guaranteed against faulty workmanship and materials EPIPHONE by Gibson: No mention of where it was made. I noticed the new models made in Bozeman Montana, have the exact label.

The other 12 string, is a Model PR-715-12-ASB Low 5 digit serial # Made in Japan. It is a nice tobacco sunburst model with a solid spruce top, solid, very well bookmatched, sides and back, in rosewood, and a rosewood fingerboard, and bridge.

Any info on the 2 guitars would be greatly appretiated. I would post some pictures,but, I haven't figured this feature out.EPIPHONE12STRINGS009.jpg

http://www.guitardaterproject.org/epiphone.aspx

As it's instructions indicate Epis from this era aren't supported due to non-existent or incomplete serial number documentation by the then current owners of Gibson/Epiphone.

Looks like 80's era is as close as you can get. "Kalamazoo, MI" on the PR label is nothing more than an city and state. It has no relation to where it was built. Just random info that gives the illusion of 'made in Kalamazoo'. Both are probably made in some pac rim country like Japan, Korea, Indonesia... probably not China yet in this time frame.

Nice looking pair of 12 wires, though.

Thanks, TommyK. The PR label, although quite blurry, is printed: Made in Japan, on the lower right corner. I read a post on another site recently from a person that said that he was director of marketing, for Gibson in the late seventies to the early eighties, and he was involved in the re-design of the PR series.

: i designed this guitar, and it's really nice to hear after all these years that it's out there and being played. i was director of marketing for gibson during the late 70's early 80's, and this guitar was part of an entire re-do of the epiphone line.

: i enjoyed the hell out of doing the whole line . . . wish i had a few - lucky you!

The guitar I would really like to find more info on is the NV-12. They seem to be quite rare, and are very good quality, and very well made. One of my good friends has a Taylor 12, and we both have done comparisons, and have come to a conclousion that both guitars are pretty much about equal, in sound, and playability.

• 6 years later...

Thanks, TommyK. The PR label, although quite blurry, is printed: Made in Japan, on the lower right corner. I read a post on another site recently from a person that said that he was director of marketing, for Gibson in the late seventies to the early eighties, and he was involved in the re-design of the PR series.

: i designed this guitar, and it's really nice to hear after all these years that it's out there and being played. i was director of marketing for gibson during the late 70's early 80's, and this guitar was part of an entire re-do of the epiphone line.

: i enjoyed the hell out of doing the whole line . . . wish i had a few - lucky you!

The guitar I would really like to find more info on is the NV-12. They seem to be quite rare, and are very good quality, and very well made. One of my good friends has a Taylor 12, and we both have done comparisons, and have come to a conclousion that both guitars are pretty much about equal, in sound, and playability.

Hey I know this is an old post but your saying that this Epiphone plays the same as a Taylor? Perhaps your friends Taylor is a custom build or something but every Taylor I've played has reminded me of an Ibanez "Wizard neck"... As far as how it feels in my hand, flat back-side of the neck with no beef at all. Feels flimsy and hard to play chords and works your hand to death (no support). Sterile sound to. Just my thoughts.

I'm asking because there is a NV-12 up for sale local to me for under $600 (US) and I'm interested in it but have never played one....I've played and owned many Epiphones over the years and haven't been let down yet by there playability, the only exception would be a few very old units that had neck issues and where likely not taken care of or improperly repaired.

Archived