Gibson Brands Forums

My Epi LP Standard needs a change...Any Ideas?

mozahlee

I Love my Epi Les Paul Standard Plain Top.

I want to change the Stock Alnico Bridge Pick Up, any Ideas?

I'm eyeing Seymour Duncans...I want to have some meat, not

necessarily "metal" but something that bites like it and has some

definition thru the Distortion.

I just dropped in a DiMarzio Super Distortion DP101 in mine at the bridge. Great distortion, plenty of bite yet clarity and definition. I thought about dropping in a Zakk Wylde set of EMGs, 81/85s I think they are, but I am glad that I stayed with passive pickups. I put in an Evolution 158 in the bridge and the 2 pair up pretty darn good. I was always a Seymour Duncan fan (still am). I really like these DiMarzios. Guess I'm a Seymour DiMarzio fan now!!!

I'm very happy with my Kent Armstrongs PAF style vintage pup.. 8.4K ohms.. I don't do much in the way of metal.. but hard rock classic rock blues..

whatever overdrive or distortion I apply at the amp,etc., these things handle with ease.

I'm especially happy with the highs, and particularly in comparison to the alnico pups it came with.. the KAs are also alnico magnets, but what a difference.

TWANG

I too like both Dimarzio and Duncans. However, I've had a Dimarzio Dual sound in my Gibson Les Paul since the late 70's or early 80's (I don't remember exactly when I put it in there). This is basically the same as the Super Distortion model only with 4 conductor wires for more options.

Originally I wired it for the dual sound, but have recently switched to actually cutting the coil and I like that sound a lot better and there is very little hum (if any really). I like both brands but I have to say go with the Dimarzio. :D/

I'm eyeing Seymour Duncans...I want to have some meat' date=' not

necessarily "metal" but something that bites like it and has some

definition thru the Distortion.[/quote']

Can you name a couple of fav guitarsounds? Descriptions like 'bite' and 'definition' are very subjective.

To me 'definition through distortion' rules out the DiMarzio SD. It was a great aftermarket pickup in the 80s(when amps had to be turned to 11 to get any decent distortion/overdrive) , but a bit generic sounding by today's standards. Just IMO.

I'm happy with my Pearly Gates pickups in my Epi LP custom flametop, but I'm sure there are many others that would sound just as good. I like clean when I want it and dirty when pushed in a pickup. Too much output and you are stuck with bite whether you want it or not.

Archived