Gibson Brands Forums

B15...any opinions?

Jinder

I'm looking for an inexpensive parlour-sized Gibson for two specific songs in my band's set. Some of you guys may remember my LG/B/BK dilemma that I mentioned last week.

However, the LGs I've found over here have been nice, if a little overpriced, and as I'm on the prowl for a 12 as well, I think lashing out on a new Blues King might be a little extravagant.

I have, though, found a very tidy late '60s B15, the spruce top model rather than the entirely mahogany one, for a very reasonable price. It's a couple of hours' drive away so I haven't been to play it yet, but what do you guys think of them?

I think I asked a similar question back in the old forum days concerning another B15 that came up for sale, but I don't remember the responses.

I played an LG0 that I very much enjoyed the other day, but I have no idea whether they're anything like the B15, despite the body materials, bracing and size.

Any comments would be great!

To my knowledge the B15 is nearly identical to the LG0 but with the occasional spruce top as you mentioned. That and the narrow Melody Maker style headstock and black headstock decal.

Never noticed, but LG0s usually have top binding, right? I think the B-15 has none whatsoever.

So as to the "meat" of the matter, they're probably identical (bracing, size), but the B15 is stripped down even more cosmetically.

Jinder,

I think you have to play it to know with respect to the ladder braced models. I've played some lower end models (w/mahogany top) that sounded dead. And I've also played some LG-1's that sounded and felt terrible. But I've played (and now own) LG-1's that are amazing in every way. I have a '57 LG-1 now that I play as much as any guitar I have--it just has something. I figure there are B-15's and LGO's with the same thing gong on.

Thanks Nid and KS-I know I can always count on you guys for sound advice!

Nid, how do you get on with your B45-12? I've been looking for a Gibson 12 and there seems to be a few of them around. I'd love the inside line on one :-)

Jinder, Here are my thoughts on the B vs. L series guitars: I had a B-25 that was a nice guitar but tonewise it didn't compare to the LG-2 that I have now. I think the main issue is the adjustable saddles that Gibson was using then that you've probably heard about.

I've read that some people have replaced their adjustable saddles with bridge modifications to accommodate a bone saddle and I'm sure that would make a huge difference in the tone.

Also, the nut width on the B series tended to be pretty narrow--the one I had was 1 5/8" and that doesn't work for everybody.

I see you're looking for a 12 string too. I've never had the occasion to play the B-45-12, but I have a B-25-12 that is just an awesome guitar with incredible tone for a small body. Check them out if you get a chance.

It's got the adjustable saddle deal too and I'm sure it would sound even better with a replacement, but it is loud and great fun to play just like it is. Mine has the wooden bridge, not the end-braced thing.

Best of luck!

Robert

Jinder,

The b-45-12 sounds amazing. But do NOT buy one sight unseen. The internal design of mine was not one of gibson's finer moments. They are combustable. The structure of it combined with the adj saddle and tailpiece on most makes for severe bellying and top distortion. I have mine with a luthier now who is making it "stable.". But he is doing the kind of dirty work that caused him to get my assurance that I would never tell anyone who did the work. All that said, it sounds and plays great. But without the major surgery, it is due to implode at any moment.

• 4 years later...

Archived