Gibson Brands Forums

Identifying a late 1970s Epiphone Electric Guitar

Koni

I have an Epiphone electric that my dad got for me back in 1978, I think it was. I have no idea what model it is or anything, and all these years I've just described it as my Epiphone "basic body" guitar. It's Japanese, and there is a white sticker on the chrome plate on the back of the body with a serial number of 113776 and then a G or another 6. I have had no luck searching this. Does anybody have a clue? It's great guitar - got me thru lots of stuff - I'd just like to know more about it. Thanks.

You might want to give this site a try.

http://www.matsumoku.org/models/models.html

"basic" might describe the Crestwood. An almost Telecaster, almost Stratocaster shape. BTW, in some circles, Crestwoods are highly sought after.... not to the point of being worth a lot of dough, but sought after non-the-less.

Could be a 'Scroll'. But that's a bit fancy and too sexy looking to be called 'basic.' I'd die for the chance to purchase a Scroll. I really wish Epi would venture back to it's roots, albeit Norlin era, and put forth some uniquely Epiphone body shapes. Though the Crestwood is plenty easy on the eyes too.

Be sure to click on 'Epiphone Catalogs' at the above Matsumoku site. There's a 1974 catalog displayed with all Epiphones wares of that year. The second to last pages show the solid body electrics. All Crestwood variants and one Strat-a-copy monsterosty.

Thanks. I found out that Saturday (Oct. 18) thru some "web browsing" that it is a Crestwood! It's so strange now that it has a name, especially since Crestwood, IL is a suburb close to where I live. It's still my "Epiphone Basic Body" to me! It is a really good guitar, and in great shape for its age - only a couple nicks and some slight scratches from belt buckle rash. I lemon oiled the fretboard and put new strings on (it hasn't really been played in over 10 years) last week and am getting it going again. It's buzzing in some spots, and it's really hard on my left hand to hold down the strings in some areas, so I think it has to go in for a tune up. The plug is also shorting out - I was "going Joe Perry" on it last Thursday night! (referencing Joe Perry Project at Chicago Fest back in the late 70s when he threw a fit due to shorted patch cords) :-)

I will check out that site. I am really curious about the serial number so I can get an idea of what year it was manufactured. I am positive I am the original owner, just can't remember what year I got it. If I can, I will post a pic. Thanks again for all of your help.

Thanks. I found out that Saturday (Oct. 18) thru some "web browsing" that it is a Crestwood! It's so strange now that it has a name' date=' especially since Crestwood, IL is a suburb close to where I live. It's still my "Epiphone Basic Body" to me! It is a really good guitar, and in great shape for its age - only a couple nicks and some slight scratches from belt buckle rash. I lemon oiled the fretboard and put new strings on (it hasn't really been played in over 10 years) last week and am getting it going again. It's buzzing in some spots, and it's really hard on my left hand to hold down the strings in some areas, so I think it has to go in for a tune up. The plug is also shorting out - I was "going Joe Perry" on it last Thursday night! (referencing Joe Perry Project at Chicago Fest back in the late 70s when he threw a fit due to shorted patch cords) :-)

I will check out that site. I am really curious about the serial number so I can get an idea of what year it was manufactured. I am positive I am the original owner, just can't remember what year I got it. If I can, I will post a pic. Thanks again for all of your help.[/quote']

I'll give you twenty bucks for it! :-

Don't be too disappointed if you can't get an age on it. During the bad old "Norlin' years serial numbers were anything but serial.

You might want to start posting over on the 'electrics' board. I normally stay on the cordless board (acoustic) but wandered over here to ask a question about operation of the forum itself. Your query about a 70's (Norlin years) guitar caught my eye. I know more about flat tops, which ain't much, than those new fangled guit tars with wires hangin' out of them.

Good luck and congrats on finding an idle Epi to put back to work again!

Archived