Gibson Brands Forums

Experiment time....

AndrewG

I switched to mediums on my Hummingbird about a year ago and wouldn't think of switching back. I had to tweak the truss rod just a touch (give the new strings a few days to settle before you test the intonation), but overall I couldn't be happier with the result.

I switched to mediums on my Hummingbird about a year ago and wouldn't think of switching back. I had to tweak the truss rod just a touch (give the new strings a few days to settle before you test the intonation)' date=' but overall I couldn't be happier with the result.[/quote']

Yes, it's sounding a little brash right now but I can hear the potential tone improvement already. If I'm happy with the results I'll try heavier strings on the AJ as well.

I tried Medium Elixer 80/20's on my Gibson AJ and found them loud but somewhat brittle on the upper strings. I settled on Medium/Light 80/20's but I would love to hear how the PB's sound on an AJ. I have a set of lights that I am going to put on my Taylor 612 and see the difference between light 80/20's. I have heard the PB's are a bit more natural and dark sounding. That makes me think a set of Medium/Light PB's on the AJ would be perfect! =D>

I think mediums improve the sound of any guitar, but always at the expense of extra pressure on the structure of the instrument.

Even my HD-28V Martin, which is specifically designed for mediums, has been set up for high tension core light guage strings. The high tension cores (found in John Pearse and other brands) seem to me to be the perfect balance for feel and tone while not putting as much pressure on the guitar as a medium guage string would.

I always recommend high tension cores before making the jump to medium guage, but that probably is the result of resetting a good number of necks in my collecting history.

Well, after a few days playing everything has settled down; playability hasn't been affected at all and the truss rod hasn't needed to be touched. I've noticed more depth and presence in the tone with perhaps just a small increase in volume-although the latter might be a mis-perception because the bass sounds more full. So far so good; I'll try mediums on the AJ when it's string change time again.

Has anyone experimented with Ultra Lights on a Gibson ? I remember setting up a Fender DG-11E with ultra lights - they turned out to be the charm for this particular instrument. I know this is usually not the case, but they worked beautifully.

I had a passing thought about such an experiment with my Songwriter due to this thread. Any comments ?

All this talk about medium and light gauge strings on the SJ200 - my question is' date=' if the SJ sounds so much better with medium, why don't Gibson use medium as factory standard?[/quote']

Because it's easier to play with lights. They want people to have an easier time playing them at the stores, rather than walking away and complaining that it hurt their fingers.

hah! you have not felt finger pain untill you've played a very crappy somwhat broken epiphone acoustic with awfull action, intonation, and overall playability until your fingers peeled, bruised and bled! My first guitar was just wonderful (please note the sarcasm). Man i must really love guitar to have stuck it out on that guitar for a while. passion comes at a price. now i have a WONDERFUL gibson les paul that feels and sounds wonderful!

hi' date=',be careful with mediums on a gibson,,, the top will swell up a little over time and youll have to get the bridge sanded.Happened on my dove..[/quote']

Never heard of that happening before, especially with medium strings. If the top swelled up, it was probably because of a humidity issue or something else.

Be careful with ultralights on a gibson, the top will sink down a little over time and you'll have to get the bridge shimmed. Just kidding. Sorry, couldn't resist.

=D>/

I have tried ultalights and IMHO, it sounded extremely weak and tinny. I changed them out after only one day.

Also, FWIW, I was told by a Gibson rep that Gibson acoustics are made to handle mediums just fine. They do install lights when they leave the factory, but only for the reasons mentioned before on this forum.

I run mediums on all of my guitars, except for my 12 strings and small bodies. Haven't ever had a problem......yet.

Just out of curiosity' date=' has anyone ever tried the Gibson SJ-200 strings on a J-45 'hog?[/size']

If you mean the Gibson J200 strings, I have them on my J-45 hog right now. I like them a lot. The only thing you have to make sure of with the J200 strings is that they will fit with your bridge pins. They have silk windings on the ball ends and depending on the pin or the guitar, I've had trouble fitting them at times.

Archived