Gibson Brands Forums

SG 61'Reissue Pickguard

Epiphone Player

Guest alanhindle

Are you talking about Gibsons? I'm thinking of the difference between a Gibson SG '61 scratchplate and a Gibson SG special scratchplate. Won't that leave screwholes in full view because the '61 plate is half the size? Is that what you really want? Does the presence of a full sized scratchplate or half sized scratchplate really matter in the grand scheme of things?

Alan

Guest alanhindle

OK. I understand. I forgot there was an Epi SG special.

I've done a rather crude experiment by clicking back and forth between the G400 and the special on the Epi website. The main difference is obviously due to the set in vs. bolt on neck and the relative positions of the end of the fretboards. However, the pickups look to have exactly the same distance between them, which I would suggest is the rate limiting step for the fitting of a '61 style SG scratchplate.

Here's a European source for an SG scratchplate:

http://www.thomann.de/gb/goeldo_pgsgb_sg_pickguard.htm

I think the Goldo make is pretty good and if it doesn't fit the officially 'licensed' copy of the SG then it would probably not fit much else.

Can you get your local music store to order you one on a sale or return basis? Mine has offered to do that sort of thing in the past.

Cheers

Alan

I checked out Goldo, and they don't seem to clarify what type of SG this is for. I could be wrong, but I'm pretty sure the spacing between the pickups on epiphone sg's and gibson sg's is different. I believe I've read that somewhere on this forum.

You should e-mail goldo and ask. I would imagine it to be for a gibson though.

• 10 years later...
15 hours ago, Craggy said:

Would a full batwing scratch plate easily fit onto a '61 SG? 

The G400 set neck, "full batwing style" fits under the bridge and could effect how low the bridge can be adjusted.. In addition the pickups mount directly to the pickguard..

66SGPRO-Body.jpg 

Not to be confused with the G310 SG with the bolt-on neck below that has a different shape pickguard.

Thumb.jpg

There are aftermarket suppliers on the net for almost all types of Epiphone pickguards..

Edited by mihcmac