Gibson Brands Forums

Custom Shop j-185 Koa

Buckeroo

Just picked this up off ebay does anyone have production numbers of this model? believe it was mfg in 2006. It should arrive this wed can't wait. This will be the first Koa guitar I ever owned and the first Custom shop gibson.

Any info will be appreciated.

This guitar joins my j100 xtra, emmylou harris l-200 (orig version) and My Ec-10 Standard.

Sorry geoff ! It was fast and furious at the end. Didnt think my high bid was going to hold. I think it was a good price So im Happy ! When It arrives Ill give an update. If I see another on ebay Ill let you know!

Just picked this up off ebay does anyone have production numbers of this model? believe it was mfg in 2006. It should arrive this wed can't wait. This will be the first Koa guitar I ever owned and the first Custom shop gibson.

Any info will be appreciated.

This guitar joins my j100 xtra' date=' emmylou harris l-200 (orig version) and My Ec-10 Standard.[/quote']

Getting information on these guitars, even small runs and custom orders, can be pretty difficult, if not impossible. Your best bet is to try to get in touch with someone in Bozeman, but since they're all pretty busy folks, you should likely try to stick with Lavonne. She may be able to get information on it. Getting specifics is the thing -- they are typically reluctant to provide too much, so unless it comes with a Certificate proclaiming "#22 of 36" or something like that, you may be SOOL, as they say.

Fred

I have one of those that I special ordered in spring of 2002. I got about Oct. of that year. A beautiful guitar with it's own unique voice. I have an AJ and a 1994 Centenial Jumbo also but the J185 is the one I would chose for arpegiated type stuff (Who songs for instance) because the notes are so clear. Enjoy.

Just took delivery today man I love this guitar I can see why alot of custom mfg copy this body style. Guitar is spotless Like the feel of the ebony fretboard smells great and plays even better, very balance tone single note runs really project has a piano like sound to it.Never had a Koa guitar before. I think I found my holy grail Time will tell and this guitar has not fully opened up yet can't wait!!!!

• 4 weeks later...

Update on j-185 Koa

This is the first koa wood guitar Ive ever owned and I gotta say I like the sound Its different than maple not as bright but fuller more like rosewood without as much overtone. This one is a keeper its been opening up it seems more each day and responds well to a lighter touch or agressive strumming. Couldn't be happier!!1

Archived