Gibson Brands Forums

Vox AC15 vs. Fender Hot Rod Deluxe

Malachiguitarist

So, I'm looking at getting a new Les Paul here pretty soon (Traditional Goldtop), and I realized that my 15 watt Crate Practice Amp just ain't gonna cut it. I've narrowed my choice to the Vox Ac 15 and the Fender Hotrod Deluxe. I played around a little with the AC15 with a '97 Les Paul Standard at a local guitar shop and thought it sounded pretty Amazing. I've also messed around a little with the Fender at another store but with a Telecaster which also Sounded pretty amazing. Both amps are about the same price. So I'm just wondering if you wise forum guru's can provide any insight. Thanks

They're both very good sounding amps and a LP will sound sweet through either one. If you're just going to play in the house, I might lean towards the AC15 but if you plan on gigging, the 40W Deluxe might have a little extra head room. You can't go wrong with either one though.

i have the HRD.

lots of power for just a home amp. plenty of headroom = lots of pedals. i have a limited edition, so mine has an upgraded celestion, not sure what they use stock. drive channels sound better in theory than in practice, but i have been using them lately...tweak tweak tweak. this problem can fixed (so i hear) with a retube.

good amp. not sure i would buy it again. prolly buy a Marshall DSL 401: ~$900 new and ~$500 used.

I really Like both amps. The fender sounds a little brighter and louder, but seems to have less personality to my ears. The Vox doesn't have as much drive, but has a sweet tone. I am thinking of an orange tiny terror myself. Hard to decide.

I think they are both great amps, it really comes down to which has more of what you're looking for. If you're not quite sure what you're looking for keep playing them and others until you figure it out a little more.

When we're talking Vox AC15 are we talking about the AC15CC1, the made in China amp, or the really expensive AC15 re-issue? I've played through the cheaper version & it was sweet sounding.

The Fender Hot Rod Deluxe may be too loud for home use, but would be OK for gigging. But I agree with slimjimdom above that it lacks "personality". It wouldn't be my choice. I even thought the Peavey Delta Blues (or whatever it is called) sounded better. The 22 watt Fender Deluxe Reverb re-issue would be better buy than a Hot Rod Deluxe IMO.

I've heard good things about the Fender Princeton Reverb re-issue (I've read Jimi Hendrix had an original as a practice amp) but I've never seen or played one in Australia yet.

There's always the humble 15 watt Fender Blues Junior (I've got a tweed one with the Jensen speaker & it loves my Lesters). The standard black one isn't too bad either. But many change out the speaker and/or have the Blues Junior's electronics modified by New Jersey based amp tech "Billm" for improved sound that is lurking untapped in the Blues Junior.

Where do you play, mostly? Good size rooms/clubs, or smaller venues?

I own a Hot Rod Deluxe...and it's a great amp! But, I don't get to

use it, as much as I'd like, because it's WAY loud, for 40 watts! "Hot Rod" indeed! ;>)

And, because of that, it's hard to get to the "Sweet spot" in the small clubs and bars

I usually have to play in. But, in some larger venues I have been

able to use it, quite effectively! Wonderful!! AC-15's are great, too...

as is the AC-30.

I end up using my Blues Junior, mostly...it's never let me down, and

has always been plenty loud/toneful.

CB

I would go for the AC15... or for the HRD... hehehehe

I just bought a Vox Pathfinder as my AC30 was a bit too loud for home usage and also a little too heavy for taking it home!

Si I bought this little 15 watt solid state thing... looks nice (vox AC style), sounds nice clean, the overdrive is a little ugly but for 120 bucks it sounds ok, footswitchable tremolo and reverb, and I can plug headphones in it for playing late at night (which is why I got it), if I get the chance this weekend I'll plug an external cab to it (it comes with an ext cab jack also) and see how it does with a real speaker.

That said, I would go with the AC15, or the HRD

Can you get screaming distortion from an AC15 or 30?

Perhaps you've heard of Brian May? Rory Gallahger got a pretty screamin' tone form the AC30 also. Haven't played the new/reissue ones myself but creamy distortion is the hallmark of Vox (and most amps that use EL84/6BQ5 tubes.

The AC series are all tube amps (said to be pure class A but they are not... and in fact this is a good thing...).

You can get a very good dist, but for the type of music surfpup said. I love my AC30, but it is a somehow complicated amp, specially if it is your first tube amp... A good distortion pedal will help you if you are into metal and heavier stuff, but I already said that in YOUR post aboout the same thing (and to think most of the people harasing LynyrdSkynyrd are now doing the same he used to do). [-X

(note the metal zone and the marshall "the guvnor plus"

DSC01302.jpg

Govnur plus .... Got me thinking :-k

I have a nice S/S half stack I want to try with one of these ...

Well, I'll not keep you in suspence... It sucked with my solid state half stack jejejeje... I think this pedal comes to life when you play it through a tube amp with a good clean tone, or in the verge of distortion...

Dude,

If you get the Vox, you MUST get the Alnico Blue speaker. It's more $$$, but worth it. Personally, I think the AC15 is loud enough for gigs. The thing I notice is that it is very focused directionally, moreso than my Fender. That is, if you are directly in front of it, it can be very loud. A little bit off axis, and you lose some of the sound. You can always mic it, and it's the loudest 15 watts I've ever heard. ](*,)

I don't have a LP yet, but I've been trying them out through Fender Hot Rods. They sound great. (I have a 90's Fender Concert and a Vox AC15 (VTX?) made before they went to China.) The character of the amps is really different, so try em out. They are both great amps, though.

-Brad

I wanted a Vox AC15 for a long time, so I thought. I tried a bunch of amps out at the store and had an issue with the AC15, that I didn't find with the others. It seemed to have a bad breakup as I rolled on and off the volume pot on the guitar. I think we decided the volume on the amp and the guitar were right on the point where the tubes were breaking up, but the symptom was- as I rolled off from 10, right around 8 it crackled and lost almost all volume then came back in as I continued down. The guitar didn't do it in any other tube amp in the room (hand wired AC15, AC30, Mesa Boogie 5 50). Really bizzare, but enough to put me off.

I found a smoking deal on a used blues jr. and haven't looked back. Just my experience.

Hey, Spitfire,

What kind of guitar did you use through that AC15? Just curious. My experience through mine is much different. It rolls off nicely. I set the amp to have a crunchy tone, roll off on the volume to make it clean, and start there. I have an 808 distortion to give me a nice solo boost.

However, I haven't used a LP in it yet, but I doubt it would be a problem. (never know tho...) I also have an older model, not made in China. Maybe that's it, or maybe that one was a dud.

-Brad

It was when I was shopping for my Strat, so a new American Std. I thought it was the guitar, but it worked fine in the other tube amps. Strange, maybe it was just that one amp.

The AC15 handwired sounded great, but was as much as the AC30.

Archived