Gibson Brands Forums

Hi, new forum user.

dan@kins

I wasn't sure where to post this. I figured since I'll be hanging around in this portion of the forum, I'd say hello here.

Hi, my name is Dan and I live in Kentucky. Earlier this year I bought an original jumbo from the 'True Vintage' series and I couldn't be happier with it. I've always loved the J45s and J50s and been drawn toward more vintage models. When I saw this 'OJ' I couldn't resist, I just had to buy it. I'm glad I did, its a lot like the J45 but a bit wider in the body. I love the adirondack top. Although I think it will really come into its own with a couple of years of regular play.

Looks like a cool forum ya got here! I've been reading about the 'homecomings' and that sure has me interested. Hope to make it to the next one.

Cheers!

dan@kins

trojan_MEGG43.jpg

Here is my original jumbo - 1935 Gibson Trojan. Don't believe the hype!

i'm seem to recall an earlier thread where you stated you felt (at least) this guitar of yours was over valued. you're probably right but at the same time, i'm pretty darned happy with my much more recent send up, for the money. and it seems dan likes his, too. so, hype notwithstanding, i'm a happy camper. would you consider putting up a vid of yours so we can all hear/see it in action?

thanks

Thanks for the warm welcome, jannusguy, TommyK, and ballcorner.

Yea, I've owned probably two dozen acoustics over time. Nice ones too, all kinds of makes and models, shapes, sizes woods, etc. .... This jumbo has got it. I only own two guitars, and I feel like they compliment one another nicely. Both are adi/mahogany re-issues from 30's specs. Both are entirely different from one another, yet they have their similarities. Both are keepers and I don't really look around for acoustic guitars anymore. I'm really pleased with what I've got.

I'm not sure about any hype. I don't understand if you mean hype about your old guitar or my re-issue. However, I didn't ever get any hype I bought this jumbo before I knew about them.. . . dumb luck. I ran into it on the AGF. LUCKY ME! I had played a few 'True Vintage' J45s, and I knew to go ahead with the deal when I saw this jumbo. Actually, I just missed being in line to buy it but the guy that bought it wrote me an email and said I could get it for what he paid if he didn't like it... well he didn't like it. LUCKY ME!

I'm sure its a real pleasure to be able to own a gibson '35 jumbo!!! That must be a pleasure to play.. . . so much mojo. What an honor. Hopefully my family down the line can get some vintage mojo from my 30s re-issue. I love to play it, I can't put it down.

TommyK, bluegrass indeed my friend. This part of Kentucky is actually called 'the bluegrass' you probably knew that. . . I just didn't pick up on it. I do however, love me some bluegrass music. I especially like the old timey stuff that pre dates bluegrass. I get stuck on a lot of 20's music for some reason, and primarily music from the South. Just love that ole roots music, can't get enough of it.

jannusguy, I'll bet your Jumbo's burst isn't as red as your pic would indicate(not that reds a bad thing just something I noticed about mine and pics). I have pics of mine (which I'll be posting) that show the burst as very red when in fact its more of a tobacco burst and is mostly brown and yellow (although some red is present).

cert.JPG

jannusguy, I'll bet your Jumbo's burst isn't as red as your pic would indicate(not that reds a bad thing just something I noticed about mine and pics). I have pics of mine (which I'll be posting) that show the burst as very red when in fact its more of a tobacco burst and is mostly brown and yellow (although some red is present).

cert.JPG

you would be correct. it's just my absence of camera skills. i hope i play guitar better than i work a camera! what strings are on yours?

rob

mr. cunkhead, I agree. There's definitely a difference in the old and new burst. The newer ones definitely have a thicker rim as you put it.

jannusguy, I have no photo skills myself. .. its challenging to get a good pic of a guitar.

jumbo2.JPG

Dan,

I just drove through Frankfort a few weeks ago--very nice town. I was on my way from Lex to Louis, great part of the country. The grass doesn't look blue to me, though.

The OJ's are really cool looking, never had the pleasure to play. And the GE is my absolute favorite new Martin!.

Welcome.

jannusguy, I'm using Martin SP custom lights. . .the ones with the bronzed b and e strings. I like them a lot.

Rosewoody, you must not have passed my yard cause 'My Grass is Blue'. ;) (just kiddin). Looks like we have very similar taste in guitars. I've been using Martin SP mediums on the D18GE and they sound great.

Archived