Gibson Brands Forums

Mediums on Nick Lucas

Jerry K

I had a phone conversation with my mother and she asked about the trip to Montana, and she finally popped the question: did you buy any guitars? Well, no, I said, I talked myself out of a $3800 guitar and now I'll probably order one for under 2 grand. "Do you really need all those guitars?" She asked. Well, you know, different ones have different characteristics, I weaseled. They keep their value if kept in good condition, I threw in. Suitably abashed, I remembered my Nick Lucas reissue sitting in need of a setup. When I got it, it was set up very low for light strings, and it dried a bit at my place and became too low and buzzed. I put some mediums on it which brought the action way up high, even after cranking the truss rod. So I bought a couple of basic Gibson style open-slot bone saddles from Stewart McDonald a while back but never got around to sanding one down, it looked like there would be a lot of bone to remove. Last night I sanded one of the blanks a bit lower and tried the guitar. It's like a new guitar, loud and with huge sustain. I love it! I'm still gonna order another one though... I'm bad, aren't I?

Jerry, you really don't expect any one here to agree with you do you??? How can it possibly be a bad thing buying a new guitar! It doesn't matter how many you already have, you can always use one more!! No, I'm afraid if you were looking for support in helping you to stand strong against your GAS, you are definitely in the wrong place...there is no such thing as too many guitars, especially Gibby's :-)

Archived