Gibson Brands Forums

J160e yikes!

jannusguy

I have to say, I love J45s, but every J160e I've played has been horrible. Thin, clanky tone, just an ugly sound. Acoustically, that is.

Is it so, that they are all or partially laminated?

Weren't they originally going to be the Les Paul acoustic, but he rejected them for having low feedback tolerance with a solid top, so Gibson stuck a Laminate one on there and sent them out without his name?

I'm sure I read that on one of the online information sites about Gibson history a while ago.

Do the modern ones have a solid top, or are they still lam?

I played a '60s one in a store in London not so long ago, and it certainly did sound like a disappointed cardboard box.

I have to say' date=' I love J45s, but every J160e I've played has been horrible. Thin, clanky tone, just an ugly sound. Acoustically, that is.

Is it so, that they are all or partially laminated? [/quote']

i used to covet one of these. don't know why. beatles, or whatever. anyway, r. zander of cheap trick lives locally and jettisons one of his personal guitars into the local market, now and again. his J160 is available and i played it. my 1st time ever on that model. i think it's a"64. anyway, i was disappointed. an autographed icon ( who writes on their guitars?), in typical shape for it's age, that just laid there like my ex-girlfriend (shaddup). as i handed it back to the store owner, he suggested that it will fetch 5 figures in japan. i wished him luck.

i'm big in japan

definite lyric to the line "laid there like an ex.." write that one down - but my god' date=' JG....great story...i think i still wanna be robin zander when (if) i grow up.

and big in japan. sell my soul on ebay - no reserve, free shipping.[/quote']

zander is a very nice guy. and feel free to use "the line"!

'54's had solid spruce top, as do the "standard" Montana reissues (other than the Lennon J-160e and the occasional special runs of vintage spec ones). Otherwise, yup, the tops are plywood. I had a '94 with a solid spruce top, which did have a nice sound. In the end, I ended up trading it toward the J-45 Rosewood.

Archived