Gibson Brands Forums

Pickup sounds

Sailingdave

My wife bought me an Epi Les Paul Ultra for Christmas. I LOVE the guitar but was a little surprised at the tone. I also own a bottom line Epi SG. Those PUPs SCREAM! Great harmonics, crunch and tone, very similar to ZZ Top. The PUPs in the Ultra are much weaker in output [which I realize can be added with the amp] but they are also much more damped harmonically and don't have the punch/crunch on my El Cheapo SG. I don't dislike the tone of the Ultra PUPs, but sure thought that they'd blow away the others. Any thoughts would be appreciated

Epiphone use(d) a variety of different pickups on their Asian guitars.

Current guitars have the 700T/650R for the cheapies,

57CH and/or 57HOTCH Alnico Classics for the regular models,

and anything from EMG 81/85 or HZ4/HZ4A, Gibson Dirty Fingers, Seymour Duncan Alnico Pro-2s for the more expensive models.

The Ultra uses Alnico Classics pickups. The Ultra 2 Alnico Classics plus.

I'm not sure what SG you have but it could be a 57HOTCH and since the Ultra has 2 vintage type output pickups as per 57CH, it would explain the difference in output.

Before 2001(IIRC) they used a lot of ceramic humbuckers which were prone to microphonics and were often described as anemic sounding.

Thanks.

The SG has a decal on the the tuning head that say "Special" on it and I bought it at Guitar Center a shade over 2 years ago. I LOVE the tone that come from that puppy but the PUPs are so sensitive that a hacker guitar player like me has trouble with the non played strings ringing/resonating and every movement of the hand or fingers comes through. Unbelievably good tone for a very cheap guitar but VERY unforgiving of less than stellar playing skills! The LP Ultra is the opposite. I really have to work at my overpicking to get the harmonics to come out and even then there;s no bite or sting to them, BUT the those PUPs don't seem to be so critical to fingering errors either. How do I figure out what PUPs are in the SG to know what they are for future reference? The number on the neck bolt plate is SUO5112078, if that tells you anything.

Also, I'm considering taking the Ultra back and upgrading to an Ultra II for the versatility of the clean fretboard PUP. Do the Alnico Classic plus PUPS have the same type of tonal characteristics as the Alnico classics or are they hotter?

Maybe a height adjustment would improve the response of the Ultra's PUs? It's kinda hard to tell from here...

I've never heard of the "SU" factory designation. I'm pretty sure the "O" is in fact a "0", making it a 2005 build, which would concur with the date of aquisition.

Sorry I'm not familiar with G-310 specs. I suppose you could take the PU out and check the underside. The baseplate usually has markings or a sticker indicating make.

The HOTCH(14K) is almost twice the output of the 57CH(7.8k). They're supposed to be "tonally related". Personally I think the HOTCH is a bit on the thin and trebly side, but again that is just my personal opinion. There's plenty of people who love their Epi Pickups.

Archived