Gibson Brands Forums

Relief on J45

brums

Have you measured J45's relief of youir ?

I would know, by you experiences, which is the optimal set up.......

- NUT (1stfret)

- RELIEF (6th fret)

- ACTION (12th fret)

- STRING GAUGE

I've a modern classic mahogany and some problem with that ..........

thanks

bruno

I don't think people find it uninteresting, I just think it's very subjective. There is no optimal setup. I like no relief in the neck and low action, but if I went to play with a bunch of other players, I'd probably be wanting more relief and/or higher action so I could get the volume and less buzzing when I beat it with a pick.

We're all different I guess.

Have you measured J45's relief of youir ?

I would know' date=' by you experiences, which is the optimal set up.......

- NUT (1stfret)

- RELIEF (6th fret)

- ACTION (12th fret)

- STRING GAUGE

I've a modern classic mahogany and some problem with that ..........

thanks

bruno[/quote']

Hey Bruno, nice to see one more Italian on the forum! ;)/

I don't have a J45, but I have an SJ-200. On my guitar I have 12-53 strings, a 011 relief; string action is 5/64'' at the 12th for the first string and 7/64'' for the sixth string.

Hope it helps,

ciao.

There is no optimal setup.

That's absolutely right: everything depends on your personal preferences and playing style. People on the list can tell you how we have ours set up, but we can't tell you how you want yours set up.

If you don't know how you want your guitar set up, your best bet is to go to a good setup guy (or gal), have him (or her) watch you play for awhile, then set up your guitar based on what he (or she) thinks you'll probably be happy with.

-- Bob R

I've owned 3 J45s (still have two) and all were set up differently. In fact, my hog (the one I sold) would change so much with the change of seasons, I needed two saddles...One for the winter and one for the summer. I prefer a little relief. If I capo the first fret and hold the string down on the 14th, I like to see a hair of day light between the high E-string and the 7th fret.

Archived