Gibson Brands Forums

plugging in problem.

harmonicchaos

i have a dove modern classic. i was playing around with it plugged into a roland micro cube. i noticed that the low E string drowns out the rest of the strings. the strings get quieter the higher the string (making the high e the quietest) but the low E is a huge jump in volume. this makes it so i can't really play plugged in because you can almost only hear the low E and the A and D strings. is this because i'm using an electric amp (i've seen other people doing this with different guitars with good results though) or is this a problem with my electronics/ guitar?

thanks.

i have definitely noticed that - acoustic amps are voiced differently. with a guitar amp you'll get that loud E thing and if you stand close, your A string will start vibrating wildly. yes, no? acoustic amps have notch and feedback filters -a knob that will isolate the frequency where feedback is occurrring and weed it out. i usually play direct through a PA but alot of our forum friends, like johnT, for instance, have lovely acoustic amps and they could offer plenty of sound advice.

i noticed that the low E string drowns out the rest of the strings.

In my experience, this problem is often the result of improper EQ or improper saddle contact with the pickup.

First, try turning down the midrange on the amp. Take it all the way off and play a bit, then add it slowly to see if this helps. Keep the bass and treble at 3 or 4 to start after you take the midrange down.

If balancing the EQ to the guitar does not work and the low E is still overwhelming, you should have a technician look at the guitar to make sure the saddle is making proper contact with the pickup. If it is a pickup that is mounted under the bridge (such as a schatten) it could be that the putty holding the pickup has released on the treble end - or something to that effect.

It is very rare that a guitar's imbalanced pickup can't be affordably repaired. This is a common problem and you should have it worked out in no time.

i have definitely noticed that - acoustic amps are voiced differently. with a guitar amp you'll get that loud E thing and if you stand close' date=' your A string will start vibrating wildly. yes, no? acoustic amps have notch and feedback filters -a knob that will isolate the frequency where feedback is occurrring and weed it out. i usually play direct through a PA but alot of our forum friends, like johnT, for instance, have lovely acoustic amps and they could offer plenty of sound advice.[/quote']

"Sound advice" eh? nudge nudge.

This is a minefield where only the brave tread, it's like another thread at the moment re the optimum settings of a J45 it's so much down to taste!

I don't have huge expeience of electric amps but the Headway Shire king 120 acoustic amp I have does possess notch & feedback filters and a total of 5 inputs and is the cleanest thing I could find at a half reasonable cost.The notch filters cleans up the squeaks and bangs and in the case of my amp it also has built in effects.

Back to Optimum settings again.... and again there isn't one my J45 (LR Baggs circa 1990) and SWD LR Baggs circa are different as chalk and cheese. Sod it I can't really explain this in detail. it really is so subjective, each time I plug in I am fiddling with this and that!I suppose if I gigged the amp then I would arrive at settings appropriate for each guitar and each song.

Have a look at this

http://www.headwayelectronics.com/pdf/sk120_op_man_01-1_30may06.PDF

THis is the operating manual for the Headway. If you scan through It does give you a passage of what all the features do.

Back to Ballcorners post he's dead right it's worth checking out the setup on the guitar. Try shoving the Dove through another amp, possiblity is that you'll get similar effect.

But if it's not the pu then a good place to start with the amp settings is to take out the gain as much as possible then as BC says take the middle range out and tweak it back again.

In other words if you start with the least processed sound and buid it back up until you have something acceptable. Not sure what controls you have on the Cube, I had one once but I think it gave up the ghost!

Finally at the risk of getting shot down in flames and stating the obvious

Any amp bought for use on both acoustic and electric guitars is going to be a compromise. My Headway gives a clean, squeak free acoustic sound. If the ES335, the LP or the Strat goes in, it's good enough for some things but you don't get the overdriven sound you'd get from a valve Marshall.

Your Dove and a Roland Cube is more of a one night stand than a marriage!

But hey one night stands (as I recall) used to be fun.

hope that helps

John

"Sound advice" eh? nudge nudge.

This is a minefield where only the brave tread' date=' it's like another thread at the moment re the optimum settings of a J45 it's so much down to taste!

I don't have huge expeience of electric amps but the Headway Shire king 120 acoustic amp I have does possess notch & feedback filters and a total of 5 inputs and is the cleanest thing I could find at a half reasonable cost.The notch filters cleans up the squeaks and bangs and in the case of my amp it also has built in effects.

Back to Optimum settings again.... and again there isn't one my J45 (LR Baggs circa 1990) and SWD LR Baggs circa are different as chalk and cheese. Sod it I can't really explain this in detail. it really is so subjective, each time I plug in I am fiddling with this and that!I suppose if I gigged the amp then I would arrive at settings appropriate for each guitar and each song.

Have a look at this

http://www.headwayelectronics.com/pdf/sk120_op_man_01-1_30may06.PDF

THis is the operating manual for the Headway. If you scan through It does give you a passage of what all the features do.

Back to Ballcorners post he's dead right it's worth checking out the setup on the guitar. Try shoving the Dove through another amp, possiblity is that you'll get similar effect.

But if it's not the pu then a good place to start with the amp settings is to take out the gain as much as possible then as BC says take the middle range out and tweak it back again.

In other words if you start with the least processed sound and buid it back up until you have something acceptable. Not sure what controls you have on the Cube, I had one once but I think it gave up the ghost!

Finally at the risk of getting shot down in flames and stating the obvious

Any amp bought for use on both acoustic and electric guitars is going to be a compromise. My Headway gives a clean, squeak free acoustic sound. If the ES335, the LP or the Strat goes in, it's good enough for some things but you don't get the overdriven sound you'd get from a valve Marshall.

Your Dove and a Roland Cube is more of a one night stand than a marriage!

But hey one night stands (as I recall) used to be fun.

hope that helps

John[/quote']

Sod it! lol, johnT! i have a friend at work (from preston - liverpool fan) who uses that expression, too.

and while we're at it, never mind the bollocks! but most of all don't let the wankers and tossers grind you down! thanks for the laugh, john.

My j-45 does this. It's a bit annoying. I try to lower the bass on my preamp and up the highs a bit. Someday I'll take it in for a checkup, but frankly, I just wanna play my guitar. I've already spent enough on setups, fret dressing etc. Enough is enough.

Sod it! lol' date=' johnT! i have a friend at work (from preston - liverpool fan) who uses that expression, too.

and while we're at it, never mind the bollocks! but most of all don't let the wankers and tossers grind you down! thanks for the laugh, john. [/quote']

Jeff

You're gonna get beaten up bad by TWilson!

He has established sole rights to call me a wan*er in a post a week ago!

BTW I heard back from guitarstrummer that Sharon (wife) and I have got places for next years homecoming. So get your skates on and book!

On the other hand when folks get to hear that there's a limey (also a TW benflection) coming and especially it's me there'll be plenty of spaces!

But I hope you can drive down because when I looked at the air fares from Uk damn near had a seizure!! Damned credit crunch! Buying a new J-300 was the plan I'll be lucky if I come out of Music Villa with a ten year old beat up Martin backpacker LOL!

BR

John

What string gauge are you using?

I had a similar issue with my SWD at first. The bass was too loud plugged into an acoustic amp and the B and E strings virtually inaudible.

While the amp settings help, I found that the strings that shipped on the guitar were so light that they affacted the pickup. Now, I am playing with Gibson Masterbuilt Lights, so the E string is a .12 gauge...this drastically improved the problem.

You may also try removing the saddle and putting it back in to see if it is a contact issue. I subsequently went with a bone saddle, and that changed the plugged in sound somewhat too.

If it is a contact issue, this should be covered under warranty or fixed by the dealer that sold it to you (you would hope).

Jeff

You're gonna get beaten up bad by TWilson!

He has established sole rights to call me a wan*er in a post a week ago!

BTW I heard back from guitarstrummer that Sharon (wife) and I have got places for next years homecoming. So get your skates on and book!

On the other hand when folks get to hear that there's a limey (also a TW benflection) coming and especially it's me there'll be plenty of spaces!

But I hope you can drive down because when I looked at the air fares from Uk damn near had a seizure!! Damned credit crunch! Buying a new J-300 was the plan I'll be lucky if I come out of Music Villa with a ten year old beat up Martin backpacker LOL!

BR

John

no offense intended, johnT! i know what that means to you guys. (actually, wankers over here are guys who like heavy metal but i suspect it is derived from the brit term due to the head bobbing associated with the music (reference: wayne's world when the heavy section of 'bohemian rhapsody" kicks in).

on another note, i have thrown my name in the hat for bozeman. bring it on!!!

no offense intended' date=' johnT! i know what that means to you guys. (actually, wankers over here are guys who like heavy metal but i suspect it is derived from the brit term due to the head bobbing associated with the music (reference: wayne's world when the heavy section of 'bohemian rhapsody" kicks in).

on another note, i have thrown my name in the hat for bozeman. bring it on!!![/quote']

You think I take offence?

No way sunshine..... as you will surely find out in Bozeman next year.

Life's far far too short. I think that sometimes my strange sense of humour may unknowingly cause slight offence, evry physcometris test I have ever sat says I have a wierd sense of fun.

So you have nearly a year to get used to it matey!

Archived